IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who own it in 8-3/8" barrel, can you advise me on it. What's your input as in would you buy it again or like what's the heaviest load you have shot ...just so I can justify my self convincing. I'm eyeing this double action revolver and have my heart set on it...almost. Will appreciate it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
220 Posts
I have the 460 SW in 5” barrel that I carry in Alaska. All I have shot is the hornady loads. The 460 also chambers 454 Casull and 45 LC. Very fun gun to shoot also you never know when you need to stop a full size Chevy.

· Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,181 Posts
Raj,

I have shot many different firearms over the years, but never the S&W 500. The closest that I have experience with is my dad’s S&W model 29 (.44 magnum) with 8 3/8 barrel. It is not what I would consider a “fun” pistol to shoot.

As far as the 500, while it may not be a pistol I’d ever buy,(just don’t have the want or use for one) if you can afford one and it would make you happy, buy it! Who cares what other people think! (As long as the wifey approves)

Oh, and if you do buy one, I’d gladly burn a few rounds with you and give you my educated opinion then.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
I love big revolvers. A guy at the range had a .500 and offered to let me shoot it. 8-3/8" barreled version, 500 grain Hornady factory ammo. One shot was enough. Done. The recoil was weird. It's the only thing I've shot where I could feel the gun rotating one direction to offset the bullet being spun the other direction. The muzzle brake did a fair job of keeping the muzzle down but did nothing for the straight-back recoil. It was a weird slow motion sense .. I could feel the gun coming back and it felt like my wrist was liquid for an instant .. things were being pushed together / shortened in ways they are not supposed to be pushed together and shortened. (My .454 doesn't do that.) The muzzle, because of the rotation plus flip, was doing a really weird figure-8 motion at the same time. I flat out don't like it.

· Registered
704 Posts
I love big revolvers. A guy at the range had a .500 and offered to let me shoot it. 8-3/8" barreled version, 500 grain Hornady factory ammo. One shot was enough. Done. The recoil was weird. It's the only thing I've shot where I could feel the gun rotating one direction to offset the bullet being spun the other direction. The muzzle brake did a fair job of keeping the muzzle down but did nothing for the straight-back recoil. It was a weird slow motion sense .. I could feel the gun coming back and it felt like my wrist was liquid for an instant .. things were being pushed together / shortened in ways they are not supposed to be pushed together and shortened. (My .454 doesn't do that.) The muzzle, because of the rotation plus flip, was doing a really weird figure-8 motion at the same time. I flat out don't like it.
That’s what struck me about it also. The ‘wiggle’ in the recoil. No thanks!

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Raj,

I have shot many different firearms over the years, but never the S&W 500. The closest that I have experience with is my dad’s S&W model 29 (.44 magnum) with 8 3/8 barrel. It is not what I would consider a “fun” pistol to shoot.

As far as the 500, while it may not be a pistol I’d ever buy,(just don’t have the want or use for one) if you can afford one and it would make you happy, buy it! Who cares what other people think! (As long as the wifey approves)

Oh, and if you do buy one, I’d gladly burn a few rounds with you and give you my educated opinion then.
O the comnander in chief waa right next to me at Cabelas when I saw it. She gave me funny look when I showed her the 500. Wat a coincidence that you talk about your dad's 44mag. I was speaking to one of the fishing guys I've fished for years, he is bringing one tomorrow, s&w29 44 mag. He's interested to sell. I won't say price right now because it was ridiculously low price but if everything looks good I'll pro'lly nab that. I holded myself today to go to cabelas today ..wanted to catch winter steelhead...which I did I'll be tgere tomorrow and hopefully get that 500.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
The 44 mags with 7.5" barrels with the right loads are a pleasure to shoot. Once they start getting in 454 casull and 475 linebaugh territory, it gets a little less fun. I'd rather go with a 480 Ruger or a 'heavy' 45 colt.

My favorite big bore is the 41 mag. Freedom Arms.

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 44 mags with 7.5" barrels with the right loads are a pleasure to shoot. Once they start getting in 454 casull and 475 linebaugh territory, it gets a little less fun. I'd rather go with a 480 Ruger or a 'heavy' 45 colt.

My favorite big bore is the 41 mag. Freedom Arms.
But it's a 500 They don't have 454 or 460 and gunbroker plus other online portals prices are just obnoxiously priced. My friend has a 480 ruger super redhawk and I had pleasure to shoot 410 grn and 425 grn. It was overwhelming I have to agree.

· Registered
16,714 Posts
I owned that very .500 for a few months and found the muzzle brake pretty darned effective, but soon sold it as the thing was just so darned huge -- that same old "I might as well carry a rifle " reasoning. I handloaded for it as I dislike buying factory ammunition in just about everything.

· Registered
121 Posts
I've shot the 500 S&W.....didn't enjoy it. Didn't enjoy shooting the 454 Casul or 460 S&W either. 44 Mag is my upper limit, and only in a long enough barrel. If you haven't shot the 500, I'd suggest finding somebody that has one and shoot that. 2600 ft-lbs of energy out a pistol is not easy for the average shooter to handle....

I opted to go a different route for getting some extra power in a handgun that isn't too extreme. I am ordering the 460 Rowland conversion kit for my Kimber 1911 45acp. 957 ft-lbs of energy with a 255gr hard cast flat nose bullet is not as much power as the hot load 44 Mag rounds (1100+ ft-lbs on the +P ones), but is still plenty for backup last resort defense against large predators. With the recoil damper and the suppressor I've already ordered, it should be pleasant to shoot.....whenever the tax stamp gets approved, LOL. Will have to shoot with the compensator until the suppressor arrives. But will also try out the subsonic 290gr "Whisperer" rounds one the suppressor arrives.....should be fairly quiet and fun to shoot, and still have plenty of power for emergency last resort griz defense. And can still shoot regular 45acp rounds through it for lower cost target practice and plinking.

But a shotgun with slugs or rifle is always the preferred griz defense method over a pistol.....S&W 500 in 8 3/8" barrel weighs 4.5lbs unloaded over 5lbs loaded.....You can get a lever gun or bolt rifle configured to <6lbs that has more muzzle energy and is more pleasant to shoot than a S&W 500, for less $$.

Nothing wrong with the S&W 500 for those that enjoy shooting it. I just suggest trying one before buying it.

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've shot it and its not closely shocking as what image ppl hold. I am not recoil shy and usually prefer heavier larger loads. Call it my fascination. That being said. Thank you all...I'm going to get it. My friend was able to drop some 300 ftx this morning...yep I work in reverse manner...lol..procure ammo and gun will happen

· Registered
1,568 Posts
It's being bought keeping Alaska in mind. Next year hopefuly or two..but soon.

By the time you get it out on a bear that’s actually a threat…. It’s not going to do much good.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts