IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell! ACE bumps it from 2000 cfs to 4000 cfs. Anyone know how long this is gonna last. This annual tradition is getting a bit annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wish I knew the answer. I tried to find a web pg. by ACE giving future predictions but no luck. This kind of behavior could be expected on wild rivers but damn controlled systems? If anyone else knows please

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I was going to go Wednesday, instead I am putting in raised beds for the garden this week.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, I was going to go this morning, and the river was at 4500 CFS! What a blow out. Someone said snow melt, but I find it hard to believe when the North Santiam is dropping and 1/2 the CFS. Rats, I had the time off approved from work. Oh well. When I saw the river level, I skipped it and saved my vacation hours for later.

I caught a nice 21 pound hen on Monday, but I'll have to post the picture later. Saw a 28 pounder caught that day also.

Did anyone manage to go today? If so, give us your report. We don't need spots, just how you did and if you saw anything. I'm curious how fishing was when the water is this high.

SKP

·
Registered
135 Posts
Little bumbed out myself about the water level. Yesterday we took a friend of mine that had never hooked a steelhead or salmon to one of our favorite bank spots. After seeing the water level I was a little worried if today was going to be his day. After he fell in up to his waist (twice), I was about to call it a morning. Low and behold One rolled right in front of him. Was it an omen?
Set him up with a bobber and a jig and showed him how to fish it. Guess what, on about his 5th cast as the float passed right in front of me down it went. What followed could only be described as total pandamonium. 10 minutes later about a 15 lb chinook made a bee line for willamette falls and never looked back. The look on his face was priceless. Anyway to make a long story short, we hooked 6 springers and 1 steelie. 3 on jigs (chinook) 3 on drift gear and one on a blade. Only landed 4 but he limitted. Lots of fish moving with the high water and the high water made it harder to land them. Don't give up just look for diff. water to fish. They have to be somewhere. Good fishing

[ 05-29-2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: buckgtr ]

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
BH,
They only do this to **** you off :wink: . Actually I have been in constant contact with them to coordinate the raising of the water with any time that you want to fish :grin: :grin: :grin: . It is my attempt to help you study.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I always thought they blew out the water to help raise the river level for the rose festival fleet that comes in. They seem to time it just before their arrival and departure.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have to agree with Steelie, it seems that every year, the water comes up prior to the rose festival. Not sure if it is actually because of it but it does seem to happen every year at this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts