IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that all I am is a fisherman but here is one thing that bothers me.

the river flow on the santiam is huge right now and something that one of my friends that lives right on the river has told me for years.

he always has a few local mallards and geese that nest on his property and they build their nest about 7 - 8 feet up the bank and this year like all the past years. they raise the water so much that the nest are flooded away. this is just too bad.

i know i fish but it seems like the water levels could be handled better than they are. :mad:

anyway i not the pro-water boy, just a complaint from one of those darn fishermen :rolleyes:

good luck fishing
take care

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, I'm whining too!

It's good to "flush" the smolts down, but all those "fin clipped" adult fish that get by us get "bonked" later in the season, so this practice makes no sense.

No other river is at this level. Why the South Santiam only? What are we missing?

GRRRRR.......

:mad:
:shrug:

SKP

·
Registered
437 Posts
I heard all the great reports from the S. Santiam, and decided to drive down from Portland.

When I got to Wiley creek, I could hear the roar of water from the damn, and new I had just wasted my time and gas. Sure enough, river was blown out.

:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man i'm sorry you drove down for this river and the way they have messed up the river is amazing. i just don't know why they took it soooooooo high

i had heard a rumor it was to give the boats for rose festival more water. i find it hard to believe but here is the funny thing.

the s. santiam is controlled by two dams green peter and foster and neither lake is at capacity but they are letting that much water out and if i here anything about a drought with these kind of practices i will be very ****ed off :mad:

i just wish i had someone to call and complain to about this little practice.

no other rivers in the valley are doing this again this year except the santiam

G

·
I have been talking with the corps of engineers on this vary subject and what they are telling me is that they are fedrally regulated to maintain a set amount of water flow to the Willamatte until June 15 each year. Normally the water comes from both the North and South Santiams, Mckinsey, and upper Willamatte, this year they intend to keep Detroit at full pool for recreational use which will result in the draw down of Green Peter, so the south will be the system reponsible for keeping the water going to the Willamatte this year. At any rate the water should start to moderate after that date.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I find it very frustrating that a large amount of money is invested in maintaining a hatchery spring chinook run on the South Santiam, only to have the fishing shot to hell at its prime AT LEAST every other year due to what can only be described as bizarre, unpredictable water release practices at Foster. This is a total freakin' waste!!!!!

There, a feel just a hint better. I did manage a springer this week in that high water, but it is tough going out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KWIKY

great point. I would think with all the talk about closing hatcheries they might want to help the fishermen instead of blow it for us

:blush:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Its about the fish - not fishing (at least not in the short term) - and no single solution works for everyone, everywhere, all the time. Upper Willamette native springers and winter steelies are ESA listed, and these flows are needed to keep them in the game, our game, THE game we all love so much. I have no problem with these releases if it means their continued survival, and I like to fish the S. Santiam often this time of year. I don't use Detroit reservoir one iota, nada, zero, zilch, so I don't really give a hoot about recreation there, but there's simply not water to go around. Its gonna get worse in the coming decades.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe I should be, but I guess I'm not quite as understanding. Is it impossible to adjust flows from multiple tributaries simultaneously, rather than one year completely drain Detroit Lake, and the next year completely blow the S.Santiam for three weeks? The Willamette has several sources that can be used to adjust its overall flow - why not manage them in some sort of sane fashion??

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa! Who's trying to use the words "sane" and "Army Corps of Engineers" in the same sentence?

There are other rivers Kwiky. I'd much rather have the south back, but this has been a good excuse to experiment. Late notice I know, but you have class tomorrow? I've got an open seat....

[ 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: birdhunter ]

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not really sure what the heck is going on, but once they filled for the long weekend, they continue to dump water. The lake level is not really droping either, so they must be filling green peter...hmmmmm guess I'm not an engineer...oh, wait! I am....what the heck are they doing?

Here is a good site to check in the am before the long drive down there.

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/report/foshr.htm

happy fishing...
Beaver1

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have no idea if this is true or not, however I was told once that they let water out to allow the Navy ships in for Rose Festival. After they leave, they begin to drop it again. :shrug:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had to respond to floatnfish

first off the north santiam is the river that detroit lake is fed by and feeds.

second the s santiam comes into the north santiam and then into the willamette just just south of salem. so here is the thing if this is for the fish on the willamette then why use the santiams at all. they shoud be using the mckenzie and willamette for the flow. oh thats right the mckenzie can be used because of all the people that fly fish that river.

give me a break don't blow one river out just to say your helping fish on another river. why not raise all the rivers a little and not just one.

floatnfish look at the river level of the s. santiam and compare it to the mckenzie and willamette then enter the discussion

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
willie,
You are a little mistaken,

The south is pumping all the water because if you remember, the North had a droubt situation a few years ago that devistated Detroit Lake & its marinas. & if you look at the middle fork of the Willy it is in the grass. Both rivers are being used to maintain water quality in the main river. if thiose two rivers were not at those flows, the Willy would be about 75 degrees today.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
yeah, yeah, I know that the S Santiam is blown because I was fishing Church Camp the day that the river came up.
Think back a bit - - do you remember the McKenzie this time last year - actually all of last year - when it was chocolate pudding from the work on Cougar Reservoir? Do you remember all the bad press from low water in Detroit Reservoir? Last year the S Santiam got a free pass while the McKenzie and Detroit Lake got the shaft. They're trying to distribute the suffering as best as I can tell, and lake recreation is part of the scheme. To blame this on McKenzie fly fishers is just too absurd. Have you considered that you could be missing some great fishing on the N Santiam or McKenzie, but that you'll have to try it to find out, because you won't hear about it from me :hoboy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts