IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip down the S. Santiam from Wiley Creek to Mc Dowell Creek. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone knows the answers to. Anything to watch out for in this stretch: splits in the river, snags, "hairy spots", or anything you think a guy should know about first time through? As for the take-out at Mc Dowell Creek, I know that it is privately owned, how do I contact the property owner, and does he/she operate a shuttle service? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1,382 Posts
I have only done that float a couple times and its been a couple yrs since I did it last... the river may have changed since I did it. from what I remember there is nothing to really worry about if your halfway decent on the oars.. as for the take out it is on the honor system for the fee box I do believe there is a shuttle service the number was posted at the take out last time i did from jacks to waterloo... your best bet would be to go there the day before and get the number to arainge your shuttle service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
got a card on my rig last tiem on the south santiam-the shuttle is 541 367 7087- dont know the details as i havent contacted them yet.nothing too dificult on the runs if your ok on the sticks. dont stop too much or it will be a really long day, below SweetHome there are some slow stretches. the takeout at wyley is the honor system for $3. best to take a look as it could be missed if you havent been there before and then its on to Waterloo.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
What's the stretch from Wiley to Waterloo like? Is it any more difficult than Foster to Pleasant Valley? How long would it take?

I agree that the drift from Foster to Pleasant Valley is not difficult. There is one split where it is better to stay to the right, but you won't get into trouble going either way. From Pleasant down to Wiley there are some long slow stretches. I don't remeber any really difficult areas, but I have only done it once. The take out is definitely easy to miss, so I would scout it first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the take out at Mc Dowell Creek. The gravel bar about 200 yards above the bridge is the take out point. Thanks for the info.

[ 05-16-2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Santiam ]

·
Registered
277 Posts
The put in is at wiley creek. And take out at Pleasant Valley, McDowell Creek or Waterloo. I haven't done the drift in a couple years but from wiley to Pleasant Valley was a pretty good drift. I believe the shuttle service is Bob Lusk (503) 859-2880 And requires a 5 or 10 spot I can't remember. Good Luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.