IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While talking to a guy fishing at Riverside Park- he described catching 12 salmon in 3 days at the mouth of the Cowlitz last month with a lure called a "Russian". He couldn't describe its shape but its action was like a tight "mermaid" movement while moving side to side-not near rolling like an Alvin. Two guys took him out in their boat and let him reel in all the fish they hooked! The lures were said to be made by a guy in Rainier and cost $25 each! Anybody heard of these?

[ 10-24-2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: skein ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The last “Russian” lure I saw was a full size marshmallow and a number 0/10 treble hook. :grin:

You use it by looking into the water at your marshmallow and when it disappears there generally is a fish between you and the marshmallow. Set the hook with gusto and Viola “fish on”. :mad:

This is also called a “New York State rig”
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Actually this "Russian" lure is actually made by a Russian he sells these lures out of his boat and truck at various launches, mostly at Chinook Landing, in the fall. I beleive he lives in Salem.

He makes killer lures, I have seen many, many fish caught on the lure, although, I don't personally use them, but they have a great reputation.

Maybe someone on the board has any more info???

[ 10-22-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
That might be the "Walter Wobbler". Walter Kapsoff, was actually from Persia, that's what he said, that goes to show you how long he'd been in this country, i'm not up on my history so I don't know when they stopped calling it Persia.

You could find Walter and his wife Leida in the OC area during the springer run and thru the peak of the shad run, he would cold smoke and cure the salmon or can it(actual cans even!), he canned the shad too, he gave me a couple of cans of shad to try once, that stuff sure left an after taste. After he had had enough of the sport fishing thing he would go up and buy some from the indians. I believe he and Leida lived on sales of his lures and a little bit of social security income. They relied on the fish they caught and bought for survival more than most of us. Once Walter found out that he could get the MSG that he used in his fish curing process for a $1.99 a pound at the asian markets instead of Accent at $3.00 an ounce he would have me get it for him and I'd pass it to him when I met him on the river. I always thought it was funny, what if the law saw me passing bags of white powder from my boat to his?

When the fall salmon started up in the Columbia Walter and Leida could be found around the mouth of the Sandy to below Sundial. You could always tell his boat by the plastic "Wadka" bottle on an old wooden handle he used for his white light. Walters boat, Sea Gull, was one of the....most unique looking rigs on the river, the long time tattered black canvas top taped together with duct tape, the extra free board built with actual boards attached to the tops of the gunnels, the extended steering wheel that allowed him to steer while standing back from the helm looking over the top....and the signs on the side windows

Great salmon lures
they work for me
they will work for you
4.00 dollars

That boat wasn't the prettiest thing to look at but when Walter turned the key it purred like a kitten. Walter and leida used that boat to take them to the halibut grounds, salmon and rock fish, all in the same day! He had many stories from he and Leida's ocean fishing days. I won't go into detaled stories, but there was the story of when Walter learned that you need a VHF radio not CB, or the one about the fog and running out of gas, or the big motor breaks and you use the kicker. As he was getting near ninety and ocean seasons were tighter I don't think Walter had been on the salt for eight or nine years.

Walter had a hydrolic jack and a home made jig that he used to make his lures with, old toasters he got from junk shops and flea markets were the materials for the wobblers. The last few years he started making some of them out of stainless for ocean fishers.

My wife has one lure, retired now, that has the design from the old toaster centered in the middle of the lure that has caught fish over forty lbs. for her, "The toaster lure".

Walter Kapsoff passed away on April 19th of this year from a massive stroke. His wife has most likely gone to live with their children in the bay area. If any of you have some of these lures cherish them, they were made by the old school that is dissapearing more and more every day.

Here's the whole shebang.

A close-up

The wobblers

Smj

Sorry if this post is boring and not typed well, but it made me feel better. I have a picture of this "Old Russian" and his wife and boat if any body is interested enough I'll send it to them and they can post it on this thread.

Thanx for listening!

[ 10-24-2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: skein ]

·
Registered
980 Posts
Smj:

Great story!

That's the kind of "folk history" that's so easy to lose but so wildly entertaining and a part of the local history as well.

. . . using "free boards" to create "freeboard" . . . :grin: :grin: Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for sharing -- every word of it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the great story. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Smj...Thanks for the post. And you're right; those "cobble-together" craftmen are disappearing. I've been lucky to know a couple of them and I was in awe of their talents.

[ 10-23-2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: BuKuBass ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Nice short Biography there Smj, makes me wish I had known him for sure. I'd love to here the full Monty on those teaser stories you listed.. come on...tellem for us! :smile: :bowdown:

The only person I know that's that old and still fishing is Skein! I heard he made his boat out of a toaster too! :grin:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Great story, I can't wait to see the pictures. I hope a picture of the lure also...

Your story about this man makes me think of my grandfather. He was very much the same kind of man, always inventing, building, making things better. People like them are a dying breed. Now we spend to much time working, watching TV and messing around on the net....no time to tinker...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Smj,

Thanks for telling the story!!

I'm sorry to hear that he passed away, I will miss seeing him at the ramp and on the water!

Sea Gull, was one of the....most unique looking rigs on the river
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">How true, how true :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Very interesting story. And while I'm reading this, I can't help but think of our very own Bait O Eggs.

Roy, this should give you heart, man. Bullets into lures and the boat even has a familiar ring :laugh:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
trollin4trout..
Hmmmm,
Very interesting. My new lure which is a wobbler of sorts has a side to side action or slide to it, and I made quite a few available near longview during the testing stage!!! Rainier is just a stone throw away of sorts. Any chance you got a look at the metal color or colors of the lure or it's shape? would hate to find out there is a copy cat out there. :shrug:

As for the reference of the true russian lure....sounds like a hot ticket!! :wink:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Great story, smj, and yes, we'd like to see the picture of the old guy. He's the stuff of legends. :cheers:

Send me the pic and I'll get it posted.

And thanks - that was a very pleasant piece.

Skein

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Back to the top for the pics.

Pretty cool, smj, pretty darn cool. :cheers:

Skein

1 - 20 of 23 Posts