IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The archives only confused me. I have a 2stroke merc 50 with oil injection . Do I disconnect the gas line and run the fuel out after each use or will the oil gum up the carb worse? Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
gas will turn to lacquer and become very gummy and sticky and will not burn. this causes the carb to gum up and not function properly. I always disconnect the fuel line and run my gas out while at the loading dock just call it preventive maintence. :grin:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,373 Posts
I don't think you are supposed to do that with oil injection. At work, we put fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas and run some through the carbs. Then we use a fogger and make sure the motor is all the down to drain all the water out. Check in your care and feeding for the motor or call a factory authorized repair place for an answer. You could also do a Google search.

[ 10-26-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Bad idea. On a 2 stroke your oil is in with the gas. Why would you want to run all the gas and oil out of the motor?

Now, if you were going to put the motor away for the winter run some fogging oil through the carbs till it smokes and there ya go.

Also put in some fuel stableizer(sp)in the fuel tanks if you are going to store it too!!!!

Been doing that to my motors since 1981 and it works. I also do it to my 4 stroke motors!

fop

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
All of my motors over the year (admittedly all 2-stroke Mercs) have fared best when I just turn them off and unplug the gas line. They almost always start the next time on the first or second pull.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree with thumper! My duck boat was mated to a 50hp merc 2 stroke. I would just shut the motor down and unhook the fuel line. I ran this outfit for years in the coldest temps, and never failed to start and run good. I would use this boat from Oct-Jan. It would sit the rest of the time.

Plus, running a two stroke out of gas is like running a four stroke out of oil. How long can a motor live without lubrication.

suckerfish

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always unplug and run it dry. It comes that way new and will help keep it that way by doing so. 6 years old never more than 2 pulls to start.

·
Registered
882 Posts
STG has it right.My mechanic told me NEVER to run my oil injected Suzuki dry.The gas may be gone but your oil is still being pumped into the carbs.Bad icky goo,bad black smoke after talking to said mechanic and was told to run the motors until bad black smoke gone
..You can do a search on winterizing your motor,depending on how long it's going to be put away.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
There's just too many fishing oportunities around these parts to let a boat sit for a month in my opinion.

If you do have to let it sit, gas stabilizer run to and through the engine, pull the plugs and use an internal fogger while cranking, and use an external fogger(anti corrosion) on the outside of the powerhead. That ought to keep you good for more than a month. I bet that's what the shops will tell you also. Oh ya, fill the tank to reduce condensation/water build up.

Smj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts