IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what am I doing wrong? I have been fishing the RSK at buoy 10 and I have had a lot of fish on, but they all seem to throw the hook. Yesterday I lost 4 fish and last Thursday I lost 5 or 6. The hook is sharp and the bait is fresh, I let the fish take the bait before I set the hook. What's up?

Thanks,

love2fish

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
It's them dog gone wild fish. Aweful smart. target them hatchery ones Steve.

Ya know Steve, I don't know if it is something you aren't doing right but just a bad stroke of luck.

This year I had days on a coyote 3 or 4 hooked and all of them to the boat. Then there were those days where it took 5 or 6 take downs before I got a single one to the boat on the same coyote. :shrug:

Last year on the Kalama and Cowlitz I had many days where I hooked 3 or 4 fish on Brad's Wiggler's and every one of them landed.
Then I had the rare day I took a friend of mine out in Brad's sled on the Cowlitz and we hooked 8 fish and I caught the only one out of 8 that day. :shrug:

Somedays the lure, conditions, everything the same and ?

That's why they call it fishin' I suppose.

Dano

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Are you using a sliding hook setup or a fixed? If you are using a slider cut it off and throw it away and start using fixed. If you notice most of the fish you catch are hooked on the top hook. If it slides it will slide down to the second hook giving the fish some leverage to pop it out! :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would agree that solid tie's are the best, without a doubt....that's not to say you'll hook'em all, but over the years that's been golden for me...This time of year I'll be using
4-oughts (gamitaksu's...sp?). Octopus style hook...I tie my own leaders and will use what works for the size herring I get.

The other thing for Silvers, is don't bury the back hook. Just hook in the front hook on a cut-plug and let the back hook dangle...don't even run it through the cavity and out the side. Top hook only. That way the back hook is spinning right next to the tail...not off on one side. That was taught to me as a kid by an old timer who ran the Pt. Defiance boathouse in Tacoma...Bob Crislip. He was an outstanding local fisherman. I'd be surprised if anyone on this site even remembers, or has heard of him...but I'd like to know if you do...Good luck.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good point Bullhead I never burry the back hook, just let it dangle!

I like 5/0 for the top and 6/0 for the bottom.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
RSK's only have the one hook... You say its sharp?? The hooks that come with the RSK's are very dull IMHO. They need to be filed down to a needle point. Better yet, just replace the hook with a quliaty Siwash.

You can also buy Salmon snubbers to attach to your diver setup to help with those pesky Coho!

Good luck

Jfool :cool:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have seen a lot of people use those Salmon snubbers but never have are they any good? :shrug:

SL

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ive never used one either SL. I was at Sportsman Warehouse last week and the guy filling the shelves said he couldnt keep them in stock. He had 4 seperate racks and they were all out.

JF

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan, I wrote on the RSK clip "Hatchery Fish Only", you suppose they can't read :wink: . 5-Cent's and bullhead, do you use your own leaders with the RSK? Maybe that's the problem, I've been using them out of the box. I did sharpen the hook to a needle point. They were not just drive-bys, they were hooked for 10 to 15 seconds before tossing the hook. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the replies.

love2fish

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I always tie my own leaders and or replace hooks with owners or gamis.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by 5-Cents:
Are you using a sliding hook setup or a fixed? If you are using a slider cut it off and throw it away and start using fixed. If you notice most of the fish you catch are hooked on the top hook. If it slides it will slide down to the second hook giving the fish some leverage to pop it out! :shocked: :shocked:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sorry Nickle Man, this here little gal disagreed on Tuesday :grin:

She found my herring with sliding 5/O 6/0 decorated by a RSK very appealing.

But, for the most part, you don't always have to re-tie new hooks after each fish with the fixed set-up. Some guys I know like different set-ups for fall and spring fish. So who really knows :shrug:

Keep bonking 'em ,
Chris :cool:

[ 08-28-2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I am just saying there is a chance... :tongue:

Nice Tuuuulllleeee..... not, thats one nice fish :grin:

[ 08-28-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
TTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :tongue: ..........Chris

Your captain is obviously blind.

[ 08-28-2003, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
UUUUUURRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB....One more I won't have a shot at. Nice fish Chris!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I agree with the solid hook instead of a slider. If you setting the hook stop no need too, just start reeling and keep it tight.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Pardon my ignorance...what is an RSK? I'm too tired, and dumb, to figure it out.

In fact I'm not even sure what an IMHO is... :shrug:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
RSK = Rotary Salmon Killer. I bought mine at Englunds in the "repacement pack". All you get is the plastic part and several to the pack. A lot cheaper than buying the "pre-tied" that I just disassemble and toss their junk anyway.

FYI, every fish we got so far this year (15) were hooked on the bottom hook, spinning free by the tail.

I prefer solid rigs but slidders will work. Make sure you use quality gear (Maxima, Owner, Gammie) and tie good knots and you should have no problems.

There may be something to using the snubbers for fresh-from-the-ocean 'hos. I have some but have not used them since we target big chinook and take the coho when and if they happen by. The snubbers are easy to make if you can't find them in the stores. All you need are a couple big swivels, the tubing, and enough tuff line to run down the middle to ensure that the tubing does not break on a big fish. Tie the tuff to one swivel, drop the line through the tubing, stuff the swivel into the tubing, tie off the other swivel, put the extra tuff in the tubing and work the tubing over the other swivel, you're done.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I make my own snubbers they seem to help if you are useing a real tight drag setting, My $.02 is don't use a real tight drag when playing the fish.
I lost a lot of fish in the ocean this year because I used a too tight of drag. Also if you are useing a deep six diver you might try adjusting it so it does not trip so easy, I set mine quite tight so the fish hooks up better on the strike. My $.02 worth .
DAB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts