IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about these on ifish last year (or the year before?) Seemed like they were the rage. I have not heard anything about them since.

Point being, I bought a few of them recently to try down in Astoria. Has anyone used them in the river down there? Do they work? Any special tricks I need to know about?

Thanks in advance.

Tanner

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
They work great...you don't spend time plug cutting you just slip the little buggers head in and viola'. Spins good, and catches fish. I really like them when I take out newbies, it leaves me more time to run the boat intead of hiching up mooching rigs.

The only thing to watch for is,,,DON'T STEP on them. I have a small collection of busted parts, but you can buy replacement pieces at Englund's.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They work great. Especially in Astoria. I like the clear and chartreuse ones. They especially work well with fresh herring behind a flasher or dodger.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Here's another thumbs up for RSK's. I would recommend you take a wide variety of colors, though. I've had days at B10 when you couldn't keep them off the red ones and the next day, they wouldn't go near a red one.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, quick responses. Thanks for the quick responses.

THE POWER OF IFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about the ones with the chips that supposibly send out some signals that represent injured bait? Worth the extra money?

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you rig it to keep the "trailing" hook trailing. Everytime I reel in, the hook has pulled back up at least to the halfway point on the herring.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The one I use only has one hook. There is a plastic spacer to keep the hook at the tail of the herring. They also specify what size herring to use. Most are for 4-6 inch I think. They work great, btw.

I tried the ones with the chip and don't like the way the clamp works. The metal thing that slips over the plastic thing is a pain and stuff. :smile:

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,581 Posts
Hey Tanner, funny you should mention RSKs

http://www.ifish.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=002835

Chartreuse and clear is my favorite, followed by the all green. You can buy these at Englunds for $88 a hundred in the bulk pack. Or for $3.50 each with leader in individuals. I turf the leader, hook and plastic thing and thread the plastic baithead on a standard mooching rig.

I thried the 'new' RSK that looks like a clothes pin and I hate it. Too many moving parts to get lost. The little metal rod (chip) will fall out for no reason at all. It is easier to bait but that is the only reason to use one. The 'chip' is a galvanic cell made of dissimilar metals that makes a voltage. The black box on my downrigger does this without smoke and mirrors.

Bring a tube of super glue to reattach stomped on wings. Works fine last long time.

It was at b-10 that one of the Trabosh brothers first showed me one of the RSKs. I just about died laughing about the name and thought he was nuts.

After that day all the guys on my boat went right to Englunds and bought a pile for next time. No one was laughing about the one rod caught all the kings that day.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Funny thing kept happening to my brother last year. He was using a normal mooching rig, and occassionally lost his trailing hook with sometimes just a good pull. Mmmm, I never lost my hook using RSKs. So one day while repairing my RSKs I took notice of the teeth marks in the spacer between the RSK and the hook. HOLY smokes, this thing just about has hole all the way through it. Then I realized after catching 5-8 silvers he eventually was nicking his line enough to break off the lower hook. If normal mooching rigs had a protector that wouldn't happen...even a swizel straw would protect the trailer.

Now he is using some RSK plastic spinners, but using 40-50 mooching rigs and changing them more often. I can't seem to convince him that the siwash is enough, but we learned something new.

I like to use needle nose pliers to insert into the hole and get the leverage needed to open the clip. Not using the pliers as a plier, but rather as a pribar.

hff2,To keep the hook from coming up, use the proper size,,therefore get the large one and the siwash will trail back far enough because of the spacer.

gus

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Used them allot this year. England Marine has them in bulk $1.15. Never liked hoods before but these are easy and work. 5 times I caught two fish on the same hearing. Sometimes the fish will rip the upper hook right out the hole and the hearing is almost untouched. Cut down on my bait bill and I figure they give me 20 - 30 extra minutes of bait in water each day due to ease and speed vs. cut plug. 20 min X 12 trips = 240 minutes thats 3 extra hours of fishing, average better than a fish an hour so thats 3 -4 extra fish. extra fish, less bait $, easier, even a stubborn old dog like me learns a new trick now and then......... FB

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like your analysis, fishbait. But, I'm an accountant so 240 minutes = 4 hours, not three.

That's even better news for ya! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My guide friends in Alaska have used the new "e-chip" model extensively in testing up in Sitka this summer.

guess what? It did not get one single addtional fish over plug-cuts or the standard RSK's....so, it seems to be more "show than go".

Another friend who fishes off N. Calif a lot in the summer swears by a RSK paired w/ a Hot Spot flasher. He gets boatloads of kings every summer on this setup.

Another herring tool that is similar to the RSK is made by Bechold & sons...I believe its called the "bait bullet" or something like that. I can attest to its success at B-10 last year.

HC

[ 08-29-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Tanner! How the heck are ya? Rotary's...
Used them for years for "halibut". Glad to here that someone has thim in bulk. Color can vary depending on day/sun/water/bait.
Just (1) trick...
The Killer comes with a spin blade on it- no way to tune it. We used to always bust the blade off, use a tooth pick in front, tie on the biggest treble hook we could, hook the welded barb into the tail, and pull the leader slightly just to give the bait a slow role/wabble- But it's tunable to the condition that day, and the fishies mood.
Caught tons of flatties off the beach for years like this. It works in Astoria as well....
It's a great way to use "imperfect bait" because it's easily tunable. Roll/wabble/spin/wooptydoo??
Don't tell anyone else though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think they are called 'no-bait' ?? and I tried one for a bit at hammond - couldn't get myself to fish it for very long since we still had herring in the cooler and the bite was not red hot. They can be tuned for a good roll and seems like the velcro will hold a scent very well. I suppose if you ran out of fresh bait it would be good to have in the tackle box.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For the fisherman who has everthing, Intool makes a device called the "Killer Loading Tool" to load your herring into the RSK. It works slicker than a whistle. I picked one up at Harry's Bait and Tackle in Newport.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I think ****** is refering to Bait Busters. Its a plastic lure that has velcro in the middle. You lube up the velcro with the scent of your choosing and bend the lure for either a slow roll or a tight roll. I have one but have not used it as of yet. I first saw them in Montana and how you cvan get them here. There is an article on how well they work in the latest STS.

Jfool :cool:

[ 08-31-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Jett'in Fool ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts