IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to Frenchman's Bar about 10:30 after bailing from work early and drove past everyone down below to near the stern of the blue ship. Dropped chartruese-head Alvin down(anchovy scent) in 45 ft. of water. Bounce back 3 times- what the heck!- jerk, jerk, jerk!- fish on already! Set the hook, he comes to the top way out there and then lets loose! :depressed: AARGHHHHH! (Thought about that post re: to set or not to set the hook right away!) Hmmmmm.......how come that brand new Owner treble hook didn't hold on to that fish? Those things are scary sharp! Dropped my line back down and began to rearrange the junk I threw in the boat in a haste to go- click.........click went my clicker, just a little, I looked around and my pole's going nuts again!(not 3 minutes later!) I picked it up and waited for a strong tug and set the hook- FISH ON again! Came right to the boat almost right away and I thought I would land him without releasing the anchor. He/ooops , she had other ideas! Away she goes and I float down and play tug of war 3 more times. Then came the moment when I wondered why I had made my leader so long! I was thinking 5-6 ft. when I hurriedly tied it on and put it out, but when I tried to net the fish I was looking at about 8-9 ft! Hmmmmm.....pole 8ft, leader 9ft., no help in boat, one handed net job- flubbed 3 times- finally success! About 20lbs I think(no scale). All I could do was look upriver at the Ifishers in a line and say THANK-YOU!

You're right- I was too cheap to buy ice! But, from the pics I've seen, my cooler is not big enough anyway! And you have to think you might actually catch one someday before that is even a concern. Maybe next time........

Is it Thursday yet?

[ 09-09-2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

G

·
By your description. you must have had the Chinook shakes and knee knocks after it was in the net. When I quit getting those, I'll quit fishing.

Cool.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:dance: Exciting landing a nice URB like that on your own :dance:

Congratulations :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Way to go.
You will have lots of help in my boat Thursday to net fish. :smile: All I use in OWNER hooks too.
ST

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
wooo-hooo...way to go old man. The only thing you did wrong is not calling me to go with you !!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

How about a repeat performance for Thursday's Hogline of Death ?

:dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice job, those long leaders can be a real challange even with two people. my wife and i landed a springer on a long leader like that, she's only 5'2" and she had to stand on the opposite side of the boat. ******, good point about the chinook shakes. I put a buddy on his first salmon in twenty years, after we bonked it i asked him, "are ya shakin"? he said, "NO"!!!
a few minutes later I looked over at him tryin to tag his fish, looked like he had parkinsons diesease. Its all about the shakes!!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Originally posted by ******:
By your description. you must have had the Chinook shakes and knee knocks after it was in the net. When I quit getting those, I'll quit fishing.

Cool.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">******, Nice meeting you the other day... I get the shakes and knocks still after every fish.. especially steelhead.. Don't know what it is..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice catch. Just wait to you eat it

Cartman :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts