IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to report on a great experience that I had with Rogue Rods recently.
It all started on a sunny day a few weeks ago (remember those) on the Columbia. I was sturgeon fishing with Cracker Joe. We were catching tons of shakers and everything was going fine. I had a real light bite, jumped up to set the hook and the fish was not there but on the set I heard a sickening SNAP and looked up to see my brand new Rogue Rod had snapped on the lower section right were the tip goes on! :shocked:

What a bummer, especially since this is the first time I did not bring a spare rod in about 100 trips! This is the first time I had ever broke a rod and with no spare we had to make due...

I think we actually ended up catching more fish on the stub than the other rod!

Anyway there had been a thread on the board here a while back about rod warranties, and some had said that the Rogue Rod warranty was not that great, here is what it says directly from their website roguerodsusa.com:

Do you have an unconditional lifetime warranty?
No. But, we do have a conditional lifetime warranty that protects you against manufacturer’s defects. Fishermen break rods! That is why some companies make heavy and insensitive rods, guaranteed unbreakable, and advertise them as such. You have to make a choice, catch more and bigger fish, or have the ability to abuse a rod without breaking it. You can’t have both.
Our rods are designed for proper use.
· Proper use includes using line that falls within the poundage rating on the rod.
· Proper use means keeping the proper angle relationship between the fish and the rod so the power of the rod is fully utilized but it is not over stressed.
· Proper use means not trying to lift a substantial fish out of the water or into the shore by lifting or putting an excessive angle on the rod. Please use a gaff or net for this purpose.
· Proper use means not sacrificing your rod to improperly retrieve a snagged lure.
Unconditional warrantees are not free. Would you want to pay extra for a rod so you can help replace someone else’s rod that was broken in a pickup bed when a cooler slid forward? Or what about helping replace a rod that was broken on a snag or large fish when the guy was using 60# Spectra line on rod rated at 25#? “Us guys” don’t want you to help pay for another person’s abuse, and we don’t think you want to either. Remember, we’ll always stand behind our guarantee if the rod is used properly.

To tell you the truth I did not know what to expect so I sent it on with a note explaining what happened. This week I got a new rod in the mail and I had the pleasure of using it to land 8 keepers in 2 trips in the gorge this week. :dance: :dance: I set the hook hard and often and the rod preformed flawlessly! :grin:

Bob Loomis and Rogue sure build some sweet rods. This rod is as sensitive as my IMX and a pleasure to fish. I am sure glad that they stood behind their product. After this great experience I will be adding a few more to my arsenal!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hopefully my experience will turn out as good as yours. Mine happened up on the satsop, but luckily I did have another rod. I tried calling them friday but the person I needed to speak to isn't in until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Shane,
I too can vouch for Rogues warranty. I broke a 9' Buoy 10 Special three weeks ago on a dark buck nook. :depressed: In my haste to quickly release the fish I high sticked and broke the rod in the same place as yours.
I lost the 2" piece, was more concerned about losing the tip if my line broke.
Took the rod to GI Joes, they sent it back and I paid my $20 for a new replacement. :grin:
This is the newer of my two Buoy 10's, so I do not fault Rogue for the failure. The older one has landed over 30 nooks in two seasons. :cool:
I will be a repeat customer :dance:

Keep fun posts and pics. comming!!!

Kurt

·
Registered
152 Posts
Glad to hear it! I love my Rogue rods and have three of them. Haven't had any problems yet, but nice to know they stand behind their product. Thanks for the info.

Trent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts