IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are staying at the mouth of the rogue and need a little help. I have never fished the rogue, except the upper regions.I wasn't sure of spots and techniques, is this fishery similiar to the astoria fishery? I just want to get the kids into some fish!! HELP!!! Also, are their any places to crab or clam?

[ 08-25-2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: King Fisher ]

·
Registered
616 Posts
King Fisher,

First- Go to Jot's or Rogue Outdoor store and buy some bait. Preferably whatever everyone else is buying.
Second- Get some Rogue Bait Rigs- Thread on the Herring or Anchovies
Third- Concentrate on the area from the sandspit to upstream about 1/3 mile.

4th and final- best fishing is 1 hour before and after a tide change.

Watch everyone else and do as they do as far as troll pattern.

This is combat fishing Rogue River Style. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
22,255 Posts
Jots and the OUtdoor store both have spinners, but brass blades and hooks, as I recall, were the rule...slightly smaller than Tillamook fare...troll in racetrack with the crowd..one to two ounce sinkers with a slight dropper. Upriver is an anchor show...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Go to the Rogue Outdoor Store just south of the bridge over the bay (at the top of the hill on your left 1/4mile.) They will help you out with gear. Focus on the lower bay near the sand spit as mentioned. I just returned from there and there wasn't a easily recognize trolling pattern. The best advice is to be careful turning around. Don't do it right in front of someone. If you have to real up and then speed up to create room... do it. Watch the breakers by the sand spit don't turn around towards the spit. Trolling towards the ocean, turn around to your right, towards the north jetty. Safer move. Everyone trolls kind of staight at the ocean and then straight at the bridge. The exception are the ones that troll off toward the south jetty and the entrance to the marina. Thats more of a circle pattern. I would work straight down and straight back. Get behind a guide boat and troll his speed and pattern for a while. :wink: You won't be able to do this for very long and won't make anyone angry because stuff happens. But the short time watching and following will help you learn how they do it.

It's not that bad down there. I have seen it more crowded.

Good luck,

MarlinMark :cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Everybody long lines there, use 2-4 oz depending on the current. Make sure to throw an extra beadchain in your leader to minimize tangles. 18"-24" lead line, 5'-7' 40lb-50lb leader.

When you get a fish on YELL... FISH ON and you have to follow the fish and stay ontop of it. If you dont yell at people and stay ontop of your fish you WILL get tangled up with everyone and loose it. You need at least three people to troll, one to land the fish, one to fight the fish and one to handle the driving and to yell at people :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Its an awesome fishery good luck :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts