IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on the wild and scenic trip on Thursday and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the trip and how fishing has been.

thanks in advance :dance:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Should be a great time!! When isn't it?! Plenty of chinook around. Half pounders probably too. Cant use bait much farther down than Rainie though. Stupid reg IMO. Bear Camp shuttle route still closed last i checked.

Wish i was a goin' :wink:

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I agree....it should be good. I have been doing very well on salmon here at Galice...and have also been catching half-pounders on flies. I don't know how well you know the Rogue, but you can't go wrong with 3/8 oz. Panther Martin spinners, nightcrawlers, and flies for steelhead.
I think this is the perfect time of year to float the wild and scenic. I don't have permit, so I can't go til October. If you've never been on the trip, you'll discover it's one of the best things going in Oregon. I hadn't heard about the no bait rule below Rainie.

[ 09-15-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can't use bait in the wild section but you won't need it. Do as Grantspastor says and get some Panther Martins.
I've been going to Agness for the last 10 straight weekends and the half-pounder fishing has been somewhat disappointing. All the old-timers seem to think they're just late.

As far as Bear Camp road is concerned the Road is closed due to a slide about 5 miles from Galice. There is an alternate route (nice phrase for DETOUR) that goes around the slide and drops you back on the road just the other side of the slide. The DETOUR is about 14 miles long and 8 of it is gravel. I would tow a boat across it very carefully and slow. This detour still beats driving around via 199 to Crescent City and up 101 to Gold Beach then up to Agness.
I live in Eagle Point and can make it in 2 hours and 45 minutes to Cougar Lane at Agness. If I went the long way around it would be about 4 hours or more in the dark.

Enjoy your canyon trip. It truly is God's country and the reason I live in Southern Oregon.
:cheers:

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Seems only Sept. and Oct. are the only months you can't use bait on that section of the Rogue. Some lame excuse of harming smolt. What about the rest of the year? The best way to protect smolt is to use larger hooks. Smolt hit small spinners like pirahna in a feeding frenzy. I've asked ODFW about this rule and they told me there was no science involved that would substantiate this reg. So what gives? Seems some purist were on the at large rules committee,and pushed it hard,and got their way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
heres the scoop on the bait ban.

Commission brought up the issue of protecting wild adult summers & half pounders. Bait much more effective, more hooking mortality. ODFW staff said no biological justification for no bait. Studies show little difference between lures/flies & bait for ADULT salmon and steelhead. Commission adopted it anyway. It was a social issue. No reason for it.

If I was a salmon guide in the canyon, I'd be hating the rule for sure.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
The bait ban is in effect between Whiskey Cr. and Watson Cr.

It was enacted by the commission one or two years ago in spite of much public testimony against it and a biological opinion that is was not needed nor recommended.

It was pushed heavily by fly fishing outfitters.

It is silly. Do we really think
protecting them in only that stretch of river is going to have an impact? Are they not hurt when caught on bait above Whiskey Cr. or below Watson Cr.?

Either they need protecting in the entire river or they don't need protecting, in my opinion.

Regardless, it is a trip of a lifetime and one that you will remember for ever.

They are dropping the river 100CFS per day and by the 20th will have it down to 900CFS coming out of Lost Creek. This will make the trip even more eventful in some spots!! :shocked: :grin:

[ 09-17-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Thanks Straydog for your insightful post. This issue gets my blood a boilin. I've had several run ins with old Irv over the last 20yrs. It's my understanding that every so many years the regs are looked at to see if they still hold water. It's my hope that this special interest rule is changed.

[ 09-17-2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah it's pretty much messed up on the Rogue as far as regs go. I can think of 4 different sections of the river where the regulations differ in the main river below Lost Creek Lake. You really need to have your lawyer with you when you go fishing no on.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Freespool,

You're right, this reg. should be revisited and overturned. Besides not being needed, how much enforcement do you figure there is in that stretch of river? Further, how many Sturgeon do you think you could catch on a fly or lure in Huggins Canyon? :shrug:

[ 09-17-2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Interesting that they pushed for the no-bait rule to take effect below Whiskey Creek...because I've seen both the Helfrichs and Urie fishing bait for salmon below Rainie. Does this constitute a double standard?

As has been said...you can still catch lots of fish without bait. In addition to what has already been mentioned, a #50 Hotshot carefully applied to the right water will do wonders. Be sure to fish the only "V" in Huggins Canyon. It's one of Urie's favorite spots.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
:shrug:

[ 09-17-2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
:shrug:

[ 09-17-2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the input i will be leaving at 1:00 today and the weather looks to be great

again thanks for the info
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts