IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I use to go after steelhead in the middle river near Grants Pass? Never fished there before.

I'll be there next weekend at Indian Mary Park. Sure would love to have a fish feed back at camp! Thanks.

Carey

· Registered
1,069 Posts
I was talking to a guide up around brushy bar and he said there were 165 in the trap as of last friday. I don't know where that is but he said it was early and going to be a good year according to him. He said he had fished this river for 30 years and was resupplying the forest service camp at brushy. He gave me a few pointers on where to fish so there was this creek flowing into the rogue about a 1/4 mile upstream and so I rafted over to that point and what I saw it looked like to me about a 30 inch summer with its dorsal fin out of the water trying to cool down. It was nosed into that creek in about 3 feet of water. The rogue seems to be really warm right now so the guide said to concentrate on areas where creeks flow into the main rogue because they are trying to cool down right now. Alot are also shooting through the lower rogue to try to get to cooler water. I saw quite a few slapping the surface as we floated down. Also very little pressure.

He said the salamander pattern 4 and 6 panthers will work. If you do a fly, use a weighted nymph as the first and a real small grey fly as the second. He said that they will almost always take the small fly but won't move far to take it. When the suns off the river is the best time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.