IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and the wife were down in gold beach mon- thur and the bite is starting to get pretty good. i did a nice quick release,on something big and cuaght a couple of jacks up river that i released, man there must have been fifty boats in the bay during the week. hate to see what the weekend looks like
and the guides will run right over the top of you if you let them, i thought the guides on the columbia are rude, wheew wee they ain't nothing but saints compared to some of the yahoo's down on the rogue. :laugh: but we had a good time anyway wish we would have got a nookie or to but oh well, guess im not used to combat fishin rogue style yet.gonna have to put a osp paint job on the ol custom weld :cheers:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Only 50 boats? Must have been lonely out there :wink: :grin:
It gets worse... much worse.

RF

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now what i mean by good bite is that everyone is catching something but me :laugh: usually a fish has to jump in the boat for me to do anygood, which happend to me the other day koke fishin, while i am cruising along about 35 when one jumps up catches some air somehow and hits the windshield, scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Pretty much from here on out the fishing down there is the ugliest place on earth. Granted there are some absolute hogs that get landed, but having to put bumper pads on your boat isn't worth it. Everyone thinks they own the river especially the guides.
If I fish it anymore I go upriver where the pressure isn't quite as bad and I can be left alone a little.

tc

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I fished the mouth once.... and well.. i'm with TC if I ever go again up river!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Several years back I went over to fish the bay at Gold Beach and we counted over 300 boats.

Needless to say there were several heated arguments.

Most of the altercations centered on folks that were trying to troll without a kicker. If you've ever seen a 21' Inboard jet boat attempt to troll with the jet pump you know what I'm talking about.

It's frustrating just trying to fit in and do what you're supposed to do in the bay only to have some rookie zig-zagging back and forth over everyone's lines.

Rule 1 for Gold Beach- You must have a kicker/trolling motor

Rule 2 for Gold Beach- Try to maintain the troll pattern that everyone else is doing.

Rule 3- Be courteous of any boat with a fish on.

Follow these simple rules and you'll have no problems.
:grin:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
oh come on
it's not that bad :grin:
we counted 219 boats on the east side of the bridge one day last summer...

My wife says.. it like fishing with 200 of your closest friends :grin:

The crowd so far ths year has been a pretty new crowd.. a lot of people who haven't fish that fishery much and are still finding out what its like.. it not that bad.. but you must ay attention and be able to handle your own boat VERY well... as it gets pretty crowded at times..

but every day you are on the water you stand the best chance of boating a 50# in the lower 48... cant beat that!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree with you TH. The chances of landing a pig are worth it.

I live in the Medford area and a fishing trip to Gold Beach is a great weekend or 3 day trip.
By the time you get there the anticipation is killing you.

By the way. For Lodging in a motel check out Ireland's Rustic Lodges- Cheap and right on 101.
For food check out Grants for breakfast and Spinners for dinner.

Don't forget to go to Rogue Outdoor Store for bait and tackle and some advice. Rogue Outdoor Store also has on display the World Record Salmon caught on a fly (last year). It should be on display by now. I think the fish was 70 some pounds.

All in all. Crowded or not. Gold Beach is worth the trip... :cheers:

The town of Gold Beach is very accommodating to fisherman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts