IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a week of camping and fishing on the glorious Rogue in the Agness area. Fished half pounders exclusively with spinners and and roe, and worms. The first morning in the drift boat we landed 3 fresh half pounders by 9:30 am when the Mail Boats made their runs through our spot. So we went to the bank and had a bite. I grabbed my spinning rod 7ft. rated 4-12 lb. and spooled with 8lb. Super Thread put on a #3 Blue Fox and made a few casts and hooked a "gorilla" knowing it was a King and played him for 25 minutes, just startting to gain line back a guide Ron Oachs came by with his guests and waved at slow speed knowing I had a bent rod and the fish mid-stream so he motored over and asked if I would like to get in the boat w/them and see if we could get over the top of the fish and "box" him. I said yes and waded out to midchest depth and handed my rod to one of his dudes and jumped in. Off we go for another 15+ minutes and we got him. Ron was as cool as a cucumber on ice and after he netted it we pulled over to the bank took a few pics and I gave the fresh chrome buck to his guys and they were tickled too. 40+ minutesw of fury and fun it was. 37+ inches!! On 8lb. string. A nice ending as I haven't visited with Ron for we determined 19+ years when we used to fish together on the Chetco years ago. Thanks Ron!!! The salmon were more plentiful than half pounders as MANY folks said they haven't seen the steelie action that dead for 30+ years. Need cooler water as the Rogue was running around 70 to 72 degrees. We caught steelies everyday but not like we usually do. A great week on the Rogue!!! Chillyone..... :cheers:

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you gave the chinook away, I hope you tagged it and then wrote down on a piece of paper that you gave it to whomever and also listed the length and species, and time and date caught. I thought we did things legally when I put the fish on my tag. The nice people at OSP fined me $75 for doing it incorrectly, not that I'm bitter or anything about it. The officer also threatened that with the offense, he could take my fishing license away from me. I had to go back and read the regs on this so called infraction.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
yeah, I was thinking that could turn into an unwelcome gift! :smile:

Sounds like a real good time, though. :dance:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OF COURSE!!! All the proper legalities were followed thru with as we were in the presence of a guide. I kinda had a feeling the "legal" team would rise up it's head on here! Thanks......Chillyone :dance:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ain't it fun to catch brutes on trout gear! Every year right after springers end, we switch to small plugs and #8 line to try for the first summer steelies.

We always end up having a springer or two slam these pint-sized plugs and spending the next 20-30 minutes trying to get our plug back:)
This year we had two do that. One about 15 the other in the low 20's. Only got one of the plugs back.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by Chilly one:
OF COURSE!!! All the proper legalities were followed thru with as we were in the presence of a guide. I kinda had a feeling the "legal" team would rise up it's head on here! Thanks......Chillyone :dance:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Given Ron is a retired Jackson Co. Marine deputy and a guy of high integrety, I am not suprised all the legalities were covered.

He is a great guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts