IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lazy and a tightwad. I also really hate the mess of fishing with eggs. But I love fishing for steelhead. And that used to be a problem.

But no more. A couple of years ago I began noticing the east coast and mid-west guys fishing for steelhead using roe bags. The wheels began to turn. Now that's the only way I use eggs, and my productivity has gone way up, while the mess of using eggs has gone down, and the cost has gone way, way down.

The method is equally effective for all eggs with all cures. Just cut the cured eggs into bait-sized pieces and tie them into roe bags using the wide (4") netting available at many tackle stores. I buy mine at Fishermans Marine, and use only the widest red netting and red stretchy thread. Once you have the technique worked out it takes about a half hour to tie up enough bags for a morning or two on the river.

Here are the advantages.

First, a lot less mess in the boat. Just hook the roe bags and throw the egg loop over the bag. Note that the hook now faces outward to perfectly hook the fish. And it will stay that way. When those fish bite this bait, I think they tend to be better hooked.

Second, the smolts can't get at the bait. While others are cussing out smolts and even avoiding smolty water, you are fishing. I get particular delight out of frustrating those little critters.

Third, the baits last and last. We have actually caught more than one fish on a single bait. It is not unusual to use only 10-12 baits in a whole morning of fishing, and that saves a lot of money. For example, Amerman eggs sell for about $25 a quart. Mighty spendy, but we all seem to agree they are the best store-bought eggs. I get about 100 roe bag baits per quart, for a cost of about 25 cents per bait. Using only 10-12 baits each outing, my bait cost is now about $2-3 a trip, and that makes it a whole lot more likely that I'll be using good bait.

Fourth, casting roe bags is like casting a bullet. You can't throw the eggs off your hook so no need to be wimpy about your casts. And that means you are covering water that your partners can't reach for fear of losing their bait. Heh-heh.

Finally, the color of the bag and thread seems to add to the attractiveness of the bait. I use only a #2 or #4 red Owner hook with a tiny bit of red yarn through the egg loop. No corky, no double hook rig. That keeps the cost down too.

The mid-west and east coast guys have given us a darn good idea in return for us giving them all those fish.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Jack,

Now there's some good information....Thanks!

I would also imagine, one could pull out some of those softer, less firm eggs..( you know, the one you've thawed out and refrozen once or twice)..stick'em in the sack...and go fishin!

I'm ready to go...look forward to that new boat also!

Scott

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
I've heard about the roe sacks and guys saying that it is way less messier! Been wanting to try this out, but don't have an example to go by
Can someone post a little step by step and some pictures to go with this so we can all get a visual? Thanks for the info Thumper.

-jokester

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I have to agree with Thumper, especially his first sentence. :wink:
Little does he know that I have had the tools with me in my tackle kit to tie up the egg bags since I witnessed the efficiency of it all. But if he were to see me doing it, it would be an admission that he is right. Well we can't have any of that. :shocked:
Besides Amerman's Christmases are much brighter the old fashioned way! :wink:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been asked by e-mail to relate the mechanics of tying the roe sacks. At the risk of boring everyone, here goes.

I pre-cut all the net squares (4" on a side) and lay them out on a surface separated. Then I put down newspapers and cover those with paper towels, then cut the eggs into the right size. One big advantage of tying sacks, as Hottamale says, is that you don't care if the eggs are firm, loose, single, or tightly skeined. We used the technique last year to good effect with plain salted single eggs.

Then I turn on the sink a bit and lay a towel over on edge and lay the thread end on the towel. That makes it easy to get ahold of. Drop the other end on the floor, as that's where it will end up anyway.

Use your off hand to place one bait into the square of netting and form a little party favor, wrapping the thread 5X, break, then 5X more, break and set aside. I've never had a sack come apart with that many wraps.

You will shortly have a few dozen pretty red, though slightly stinky, party favors. Trim the ends off and toss the roe sacks into your container. Ta-Da!

Don't tell ........ :grin:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Thanks Thumper...definitely will have to try this out. I talked to a guy who fishes with the roe sacks and he says it's the only way he fishes eggs. Must be something to it :grin: Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Another trick is to use Beau-Macs liquid coloring to freshen up the color on the roe bags after they have been fished a while...it makes 'em look like new for several more casts!

Half Canuck

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thumper,

Ah yes spawn sacks. Used them all the time in Wisconsin. I bought a little machine at a garage sale out there called the "little spawnee". Essentially you put the roll of netting on it fill with eggs. It crimps the top and you tie off. If I get out you way I'll bring it to show it to you.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I'm thinking about combining Powerbait, tuna and roe. All in the same little party favor. Then soaking the whole thing in anise or shrimp oil. What a mess! Good thing I'm single, eh?

Denali, I bought one of the little machines at FMS a while back, but it was slower for me than tying by hand. Bring it to Alaska and we'll spend evenings tying roe sacks. :grin:

[ 06-09-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My customers have used this method for years and it works GREAT!

We use the wedding vail netting and streatchy thread. Put the baits in the middle of the 6 inch square and roll it up like a barrito. Use the streatchy thread to tie the top, middle and end. If you use the magic thread, you don't have to tie the ends off, just streatch it twice and break the thread. Place the 6/0 or 7/0 hook(for sturgeon fishing) in the middle and throw it out. Bam! Fish ON! And no-more problems with bottom feeders. And don't forget to use scent on the fabric netting for added feeder attraction! Works Great!

my 2 cents worth...
Marie

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don't forget to check out the local fabric store and ask for netting. Some will have a variety of colors. It's cheaper than buying the precuts. Also good for bagging up those last few eggs that lay around after you're done curing skeins. No waste. :smile:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The roe bag sounds like a good idea and it wouldn't be any where near as messy,I'm sure you all know what I mean.I don't know about sealing the bag by burning it,I think that would leave a
pretty nasty smell :shrug: :whazzup: on the eggs.
Bob

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Used the roe bags in the early and mid Seventies, on the NFL for springers and Fall fish back when everybody just plunked with Spin-glo's and Spawn sac's off of Strawberry island and What is now called Snaggers Rock. I prefer the natural egg clusters in presentation but we did do quite well with the Spawn Sac clusters.

Side note:
Fished Astoria yesterday with frozen Anchovies, but had trouble keeping them on once thawed. Placed two wraps of netting around the baits and then wrapped the length with stretchy thread. The baits stayed on longer and the netting was easy to apply scent too! Didn't find any keepers but was able to continue fishing with the thawed Anchovies :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts