IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that you probably have had tons of threads like this, but I am new to this area of IFish. My friend hooked me into a steelhead on a fly and now I am hooked.
I am no beginner and I am looking for about a 7 or 8 weight.

I am looking for opinions on rods that cost around 100-150 bucks?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
465 Posts
There are many rods in that price point to look at. Although I am bias, I would choose an Echo Classic 8wt and that guy who designed them lives here in Vancouver. The TFO Professional and signature series also has a following and I think Redington also has similar rods in that ballpark. Regardless, I would recommend casting and looking at several before you buy one. Tightlines,

·
Fly Fisher
2,160 Posts
Doesn't the only fly shop in the Tri-Cities area plan to close (in Kennewick)? Maybe they will have some close out specials?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
don't forget about some older glass rods like a Fenwick. You could probably even pick up a South Bend Bamboo rod in very fishable condition in that price range. I'll also second the Echo comment. I have one in a 3 wt. and absolutely love it...can't speak for the 8 though...

Randy

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
WWGrigg here in Canby has an 8wt for just under a hundred. I will shake one tonight hopefully, and let you know how it feels. Its listed on their site

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is an advertisement on here from "RIver City Fly shop" Stop by and ask for Don. He is one of the nicest people you want to do business with. He will hook you up with a nice rod and at prices you can afford. He is located off of Shoals fy Road, off route 217 ... Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Redington makes a good entry level rod but I think Sage bought Redington? Not sure. Anyway, I have a Redington Crosswater 9" 8wt that I am very happy with and it was around $80. Don't flame me gentlemen for not going to a small fly shop.... I bought it at a big box store. Sportsmans to be specific. If you want something different, I also checked out a 9" 8/9wt Lamiglass for $129 at the same store. Good luck with your decision and have fun out there! ERIK

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the imput so far guys. I still would like some more ideas. Does anyone know why everything is coming in 4 pieces now? I always thought the 2 pieces were stronger? I know they are smaller to carry, but most makers seem to make more quality rods in the 4 pieces.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Echo classic is around $130ish
redington crosswater is less then $100
redington redfly2 is right at $100 and a nice stick
TFO Pro and the green one(namehasescaped) around$90 and $130
Lamiglass i'm sure has one in that range
Orvis has clearwater rods on their website on sale for less then$100
Albright will have one in that range
cortland/diamondback.....

Lots of options, wiggle em,cast em and get the one you like.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
If you can possibly wait...the NW Sportsmans Show in Feb...you can get some good deals there too. I know...that's a loooonnnggg time. Maybe pick up a second rod there...I never like to fish with only one rod..or one anything..just in case.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for all the imput so far guys. I still would like some more ideas. Does anyone know why everything is coming in 4 pieces now? I always thought the 2 pieces were stronger? I know they are smaller to carry, but most makers seem to make more quality rods in the 4 pieces.
-Older 4 piece used to be heavier that 2 piece but with new materials not much different in casting.
-If you fly we used to be able to carry on our expensive rods and put them in coat rack.
-I remember coming back from Denver Fly show, almost whole plane had people holding onto their prized possesion on the plane.
-New security, (in Canada anyway) they wont let you carry on the rod. But the 4or5 piece will fit in luggage.
-Out of site of some but not all baggage handlers.

-the multy-piece rod is a bit more labour intensive to put together, ensuring spine is alligned and a bit more material used to match the rods, some manufactuers (scott) have gone back to ferrel system.

-shipping expecially in the longer lengths is much cheaper when sending for warrenty repair or single rod to customer from internet or mail order sale. savings to you if sent US postal ground.

-we use a lot of rods over 9 foot, getting crowded in the import pick up with two piece rods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts