IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Fishing Tillamook area some years ago, I have found that there has been a shift in Rods and reels.
We used Level winds and 7 1/2-8ft Rods when trolling ocean or bay.
Now many are using 9 1/2 - 10 1/2ft Rods. Is there a advantage of using longer rod?
That seems long to me for a boat rod. Any help or knowledge on this would be appreciated, so i have a better understanding of the advantages? HELP

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I troll anything from 8 to 10&1/2' long depending on what I'm after and where I'm at. Solo fishing also comes into play.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I prefer the long, limber action of a 10'6 rod, particularly when fishing for kings. But if I'm fishing solo, I'll generally use a 9', a whole lot easier to net a fish by yourself when using the shorter rod.

The other nice thing about the 10'6 rods is more separation when you're pulling several lines.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Does a 360 flasher work better with a long rod? We will be using 360 flashers.
A longer rod with a good tip will telegraph what is going on at the other end of the line. It's easy to see when the 360 is working when the rod talks to you. With a short rod, the tip isn't as sensitive. I use 9 to 9.5 foot rods for all my trolling.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use 9 to 10'6 on my boat fishing360s,longer up front and shorts out the rear and they both work great,I will 2nd the 9ft for solo fishing but I always put less experienced people with the longer rods as they seem to do better with the extra play in them

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The Loomis HSR962C was a popular rod, the Lamiglas XCF and XCC803 were good rods, the XCF803, or XCC 793 were popular spinner rods also. Someone with a XCC 934 GH and 300 LC Tekota reel could just about cover anything at Tillamook in today's fishing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Longer rods help keep fish on for people not great at fighting a fish and if your running 6+ rods it helps spread things out. Personally I can’t stand anything over 9’. I run 8-9’ only for salmon. Maybe shorter for jigging.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does a 360 flasher work better with a long rod? We will be using 360 flashers.
Like others have mentioned the 10'6" rod allows the you to visualize the "thumping" of the 360 flasher better and for newbies the longer softer rid allows fish to stay hooked a little better...typically 9' to 10'6" are used for 360 rods and the folks will vary their rod lengths depending on fishing solo or to achieve a wider spread when trolling, in the end fish whetever you are comfortable with, I see guys trolling with big sturgeon rods catching salmon

·
Registered
150 Posts
10’6 bow straight out, middle rods 10’6 slightly pointed to the stern and 9’6 straight out the back. Helps watch the 360’s and keeps everything spread out. That’s what works the best for me. Might eventually go to 12ft on the bow

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
I'm a lousy 360 fisherman so take this for what it's worth. I like a 9' softer action rod for fighting fish using barbless hooks. I have a 10'6" rod that is fun to fight fish with and it's great when you are trying to spread out your lures, but the 9' rod is plenty. Besides, the guys & gals up river do real well dragging 360's behind a downrigger. They get plenty of action out of those flashers by just setting the 360 well behind the downrigger ball.
When I'm trolling just a naked spinner (no flasher) I have an old 7' 10-20 LCI that is great and fun. Especially with barbed hooks.

My $.02.

Reactions: Liquiddeath

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm a lousy 360 fisherman so take this for what it's worth. I like a 9' softer action rod for fighting fish using barbless hooks. I have a 10'6" rod that is fun to fight fish with and it's great when you are trying to spread out your lures, but the 9' rod is plenty. Besides, the guys & gals up river do real well dragging 360's behind a downrigger. They get plenty of action out of those flashers by just setting the 360 well behind the downrigger ball.
When I'm trolling just a naked spinner (no flasher) I have an old 7' 10-20 LCI that is great and fun. Especially with barbed hooks.

My $.02.
I do just as well or better behind a 8# downrigger ball with 30’ bumper then I do trolling 10 oz of lead with a 30” bumper. I don’t really believe the longer rod gives better action argument. But I get the spreading out the gear argument.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
A small boat and a 10 1/2 ft rod as a train wreck waiting to happen, they need more room to store and transport, the net also has to match the longer rods, and the room/ability to store that net out of the way. There was two 7 ft 9 in. blanks Angler's Workshop sold that were great, the SP79H and SP79M. Both IM6 graphite made by Talon Graphite in Woodland; both were original Sage patterns from when they built all types of blanks. I wouldn't shy from using the Lamiglas Pro Bouncer here either the X80MBC, or X80MBCGH, probably the most versatile backbouncer ever made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts