IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already mounted the rod holders on the front but my ? is were should I mount the rod holders for myself(the rower)? Behind or infront of oars. It's hard to tell which way is better when your sitting in the garage. All the drifters I've been in never had a holder back there.

I'd like one there for when I'm on the anchor I can have a rod near me rather then all of them up front. I figured it would probably work well for trolling also.

Thanks in advance for the help evrybody.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't use a rod holder i use a y in front of the oar lock and but the butt of the pole by my feet. i have one on each side

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
my boat had a rod holder mount just ahead of the oarlock. i never used it. i ended up mounting a rod holder on the center of the fly deck and it's home to my rod if i've got two front seaters. front seaters gotta be good for something, right? besides, if your rod goes off, what are you going to do, stop rowing? most times that would be a really bad idea. also, hanging a rod holder near the oar lock makes for some odd plug placement out there when you're pulling plugs. in a lot of cases, the time to put your rod out or get it back in are cases where you need to be on the sticks, not fiddling with your rod.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I have a small clip mounted on the inside of the gunwale ahead of the oarlock. I rest the tips ection in that clip and put my foot on the butt section of the rod. I also have a rod holder mounted behind the oars on my rowing seat, but hardly ever use it. The clip arrangement is much handier

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mount 1 on each side in FRONT of your oar locks. If you put them behind, they will interfere with you oars while rowing. Having one on each side allows you to fish seams on either side of the boat.

Contrary to Ampersat's experience, I catch fish all the time on my on my rods in the rowers seat holders. You are not usually fishing rapids, and can throw the anchor out or move over to softer water when you hook up.

If you have a Willie, Alumaweld or North River drift boat, you can purchase a rod holder bracket called Easy-Mount, that allows you to move your rod holder(slides on the gunnel)) wherever you would like on the gunnel, and you don't have to drill any holes. They are the only way to go in my opinion.

[ 08-10-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
3 on the bow.

1 in front of each oarlock. About 12" or so.

2 in the stern ( assumes you will fish with a trolling motor at some point. Or you could anchor backwards- off the bow)

I have seen the adjustable brackets. They sound like a swell idea until you adjust them "just so". Then they don't move for years at a time cause they are in the right place.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Chris, the guy that makes them is Steve's Outdoor & More. His number is (503) 522-7300.

Mark, that is one of the nice things about the sliding mount. You can slide it all the way from bow to stern. 7 rod holders is a lot on a drift boat, but for a guy that catches as many fish as you, I can see where you wouldn't want to put to much stress on just 4 all the time. :grin: How's the motor working?

Troy

[ 08-10-2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Troy,

I aint caught a fish since,....since....Well lets just say, it has been a very long time!

The slider units look cool, I want them on the next dogmobile.

Hopefully, I will get a couple stickers from you soon( should know tomorrow) for Scotts ride.

Merc is perfect.

Does the new boat handle like the purty Willie did?

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
I have mine (bracket) mounted (one on each side) in front of the oarlocks and have no problem with interference. What I did when I mounted mine was in the driveway I estimated where I wanted tem on each side and held them in place with vise grips. Then I put the bottom half of a rod/reel in it and ten worked the oars to make sure I didn't haveany interfence. It took a little fine tuning to get them just right then I marked and drilled for them. It was very simple and have had no problems with them getting in the way. Also, I like my rod close by when I'm by myself so I can grab it quickly and you'll have to stop rowing to get the hook set anyway.

JK

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys, the info is just what I was looking for.

Spooled, thanks for the pics that was cool to get to see it rather than visualize. The boat is a Fishcraft so I'll look into it and see if it's a go. Those easy-mounts sound like their the ticket.

Thanks again for the help

Later Geoff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts