IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a difference a day can make! Saturday I got together with some ifisher's and it was blowing and a little rough as forecast. We caught some fish but it was real slow!

Sunday was awesome but I had things to take care of as some of the ifisher's did also. Wished it would have been Sunday instead!

Anyhow, I finally got out of the house about 4:00PM Sunday and looked over the seawall and saw some kids and adults catching some fish. Tried to find some locals to go fishing with no success. I finally made it down to the rocks at 6:30PM and ran into this group of folks from Willamina/Sheridan area and asked them if it was OK to take a pic of them since they had a nice catch of rockfish.

They told me the "bite" had ended. I thought, "Geez", I should have come down earlier and I would have caught some nice fish! Oh well, I live here and have plenty opportunities, no big deal!

So I went over to the "crack" and immediately hooked about a 15# ling and had him up to the surface two or tree times and figured he was mine. I was at water level and the last time he made a run, he twisted and spit the hook! I was in disbelief and a bit bummed because that was a nice ling to loose on the rocks not to mention in a boat now days!

But then I started catching bass and 3 or 4 undersize lings and some tourist wandered down and I talked them into taking a couple pic's of the fish I was catching.

Then I added a ling to the catch while they were still there.

As it got dark, no one was around, so I took a pic of the fish on the rocks:

Late Monday I went out with Bob and caught these two fish on the first and third cast in this spot:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then Today the weather forecast was the pits, but I was showing a new friend Molly the ropes and while we were at Boiler Bay we found a snoopy couple and I told them the place I had been catching them was a "zipperlip" (hoping they might recognize the saying and say they were ifisher's), but they didn't. Right as we were leaving, I felt for them and asked if they were ifisher's and they said: well not really but they read it and asked me if I was DepoeBayDan. Molly started cracking up and I started talking about ifish and invited them to follow us.

Here's Jamie fighting a fish once we moved to the spot I showed them:

A small cabezon caught by Jamie that might have met the new minimum size limit but we didn't have a tape handy. I have my poles marked at 24" for ling's but seldom catch cabezon off the rocks on jigs).

Here is Jamie catching and getting ready to release a small undersize ling (23"), disappointed, but happy!

She was a real Ling slayer! As a matter of fact she was telling us before hand she was considering that as her name on ifish when she registered if it isn't taken. Fun and interesting day. I hope she gets it and is not taken because she showed she deserves it!

Her next fish:

I informed her that you don't grab a ling inside the gill rakers and she found out the hard way (as I did many years ago), that you don't! :laugh: Not funny eh, Jamie? :laugh:

There she goes again!

There she goes again! Releasing another 23 incher (a pretty green one)!

For her troubles, she caught a 25" ling and a kelp greenling (seatrout), not too mention the 2 or 3 lings she had to release. I caught 6 nice bass (Black Rockfish).

Her 25" ling is pictured above and is the same size and caught in the same place as mine was the day before. I was real happy for her! A great first outing for her and Austin and I know we will be fishing together again in the future.

Dan

[ 05-15-2003, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and I forgot, Jamie might have been able to take a small cabbie home also if we would have had a tape measure on us. I mentioned I mark my poles for ling. From the but section forward at 24" I put a piece of electrical tape for measurement and now I will also have to put a piece of tape for the new 15" minimum requirement for cabbie's.

I did give her and Austin two or three seabass I caught to take home with them to Salem as I have been providing a bunch of locals with filet's lately.

Dan

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Dan,
Nice fish!
Seems to be a good population of 23" lings around there huh? :smile:

What do u think the weather will be like Saturday and Sunday?? Thinking of maybe coming over one of those days and trying it again :smile:
thanks
Russ

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of the question!

Today
NW wind 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 6 ft at 9 seconds. Chance of showers.

Tonight
W wind 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 9 ft at 10 seconds. Chance of showers.

Fri
W wind 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 10 ft at 10 seconds. Rain.

Fri Night
NW wind 15 kt...easing to 10 kt after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 10 ft. Chance of showers.

Sat
NW wind 10 kt...rising to 20 kt early in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 ft. NW swell 9 ft. Chance of showers.

Sun
N wind 15 kt...rising to 20 kt early in the afternoon. Wind waves 5 ft. NW swell 9 ft.

Mon
N wind 25 kt. Wind waves 5 ft. NW swell 7 ft.

9' swell, forget it! 4' wind waves, forget it! 20-25 kt wind, forget it! LOL! That's sad!

But you never know, it could change by then. It's a way off, but I wouldn't be optomistic? It wasn't as bad as they predicted yesterday. Today isn't as bad either, so far!

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/255.html

I replied on your rod/reel thread.

Dan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dan

Thanks for the posts. I've been following your posts for awhile now. I was hoping to join you guys last Saturday but couldn't make it out. By the way, what's the ideal wave condition to fish for seabass. You mentioned w/ 8-9 ft swells is NO WAY. And do you have any thoughts on an ideal surf perch fishing condition?

Alan

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey DBD....where do you go those concise reports on tides and waves and could a landlubber learn to read them?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Duuuhhhhhhh, I just saw the link at the bottom of you post

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Yeah 9ft swell makes it very unsafe :depressed:

Oh well maybe sometime during the week

I would like to try the surf perch fishing also sometime :smile:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My brother and I were at Boiler bay yesterday, we caught about 13 huge rainbow perches with live babies in them, we had to release all the babies and watched them swim away. We used sand-shrimps that we pumped at South of Lincoln. Didn't get any seabass with one undersize cabby.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geez, what's up with this rain? Cold May showers! Gotta filet halibut in the rain today!

uspolymer,

You don't distribute Arati do you? Just kiddin', that's a Brazillian line.

6' is the magic number and the smaller the better for both off the rocks or the surf.

greenbuttskunk,

Right in front of Depoe Bay but there are many places to fish down here and it varies from day to day and/or tide.

I'm sure there are some locals and otherwise that will be bothered by me posting this (including me), but for the most part, this is an under utilized/uncrowded fishery.

I have rarely fished in front of Depoe over the years and fished many other places but lately it has been more consistent than many places.

Fish_N_Russ,

There is a few but very few places to fish on a 9' swell around here that are safe and most of them are non productive in a 9' swell.

I don't fish the jetties rarely anymore because of the excellent fishing here and lack of tidal exchange concern, but I would think that there is plenty of jetty fishing on a 9' swell if you are determined to be "salty".

I'm glad to be somewhat over my daughter crisis and have an interest in fishing again and share this info with a lot of cool ifisher's.

Dan

Now the sun is shining momentarily.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
DepoeBayDan,
You are very generous with your information. We're spending Memorial Day weekend at my wife's parents place south of Yachats. We often fish off the rocks for kelp greenling and I've heard that they are good bait for lings. Any tips you can pass along for getting into some better fishing off the rocks would be great if you want to email that's fine too. Thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Originally posted by DepoeBayDan:
[QB] Then Today the weather forecast was the pits, but I was showing a new friend Molly the ropes and while we were at Boiler Bay we found a snoopy couple and I told them the place I had been catching them was a "zipperlip" (hoping they might recognize the saying and say they were ifisher's), but they didn't. Right as we were leaving, I felt for them and asked if they were ifisher's and they said: well not really but they read it and asked me if I was DepoeBayDan. Molly started cracking up and I started talking about ifish and invited them to follow us.

Yes indeed! We felt very fortuitous to run into "DepoeBayDan the man" at boiler bay. Fishing with this guy is like having your own personal guide!! From where, to how, to terminal tackle.
He definitely put us into fish too. That rod I'm holding is a new low-budget model I bought as a ling rod for rock fishing and Dan showed us where to get the skunk off it right away!!
Surf and weather made it rough towards the end of the day, and a couple sneakers caught Austin and I off guard twice. I'm sporting some nice bruises today.
Wait for some nicer weather and we'll be seeing you all there!!
Many thanks again to Dan for ALL the wonderful pointers, directions and general help. To those that haven't had the chance to meet him, get over there when the weather breaks and get in some ling/bass/cabby/perch fishin'. He can show you where all the right stuff to use can be found too!
It is tons o' fun
The ling filets tonight were exceptionally tasty!!
Jamie and Austin aka "the snoopy couple" :smile:
or
Lingslayer and the Ironhead

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Ling Slayer,

Great pictures LS! Yeah, I can see from where you were standing, things could get nasty real quick. :shocked: But of course we all know not to take our eyes off the big blue.

Congrats and welcome to Ifish! :cheers:

:smile:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh you crack me up Jamie! It was a real pleasure meeting you and Austin. A real pleasure. Just met Molly a few nights ago.

I was serious about not telling you the "spot" before I finally gave in, but when I found out you were ifisher's, I decided to show you it.

Apreciate your reply and am glad you became a member of ifish. Welcome to the family and if Jenny didn't inform you, you have to post a "story" and show a pic of you eating the lingcod heart!

Requirements! No exceptions! :grin:

Molly really liked you and I am sure there is a fishing trip in the future for all of us.

How was North Point? Please don't make me feel bad I sent you there!

She knows when her picture is going to be taken!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts