IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read with interest the various posts describing the great number of "road hunters" encountered on various Eastern Oregon hunts. Sounds discouraging and aggravating...

I grew up in NE Oregon in a Hunter's paradise. It was a hunting culture, and my family members were good hunters. We were also poor. Our hunting was done just as much for food as for fun. Passing on a smaller Buck in order to shoot a trophy was not part of the mindset. It was fun to shoot a 4 point, but that only happened if he were the first one to be spotted. Nevertheless, a big part of hunting was fair chase, and "Road Hunters" were talked about with contempt. That didn't mean that if a Buck crossed the road we would let him go because we didn't happen to be huffing and puffing our way up those endless steep slopes in the Imnaha River Canyon at the moment. My point is that we hunted Deer the hard way, took pride in our efforts, and viewed road hunting with disdain, but didn't hesitate to take one the "easy way" if an opportunity presented. My Grandfather owned 5000 acres out of Joseph, and we could have shot bucks grazing in his Alfalfa, but that would have been sort of like "road hunting" so we headed out to the breaks of the Imnaha and half killed ourselves because that was a big part of the experience.In retrospect, I don't believe that road hunting in NE Oregon as a strategy would have worked very well. Where I grew up road systems are limited to this day, and bucks live in those steep canyons.

Now I live in SW Oregon. We hunt Blacktails which are considerably (IMO) harder to hunt. Unless there has been a fire, or clearcutting to reduce the amount of brush and increase visibility its tough to even find Deer when the weather is fair and dry. Its a real challenge (Read "waste of time") to try and move through the brush when it's dry, and in my experience the best fair weather strategy is to organize a drive of some sort, or find a killer vantage point and glass.

That all changes however when the weather turns foul and the Rut approaches late in the season. I'm no longer poor, and don't need the Deer to feed my family. I've probably killed 40 Deer in my lifetime. I don't lay awake the night before season hoping just to find a legal Deer like a I did as a kid. I still like the fair chase and challenge of "real" hunting, but in SW oregon where I live now, there are extensive logging road systems, and like it or not, late in the season slowly driving logging roads and glassing clear cuts during a rain/wind storm is one of the MOST EFFECTIVE ways to find big bucks. And I do it...in those conditions.

What do you think of "road hunting" as a strategy?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
We hiked a total of about 10 miles on different hunts each day this year on the east side, and saw more deer driving to the hunt or back to camp then we did while we were in the woods? No bucks lots of does but it still makes you wonder?

·
Registered
23,878 Posts
waste of my time and fuel. not that i have not done it. to drive from clear cut to clear cut is the way to hunt some areas. on the steep west side logging areas it is what everone is doing. boring

·
Banned
945 Posts
I think the main difference is you cover more ground faster which in my opinion is dangerous. The bad part is when you "drive by" you have no idea what your coming up on, whereas if you are walking you are much more aware of your surroundings seeing more game, and people as the case may be.

I dont have any facts to support this, but I bet a lot more high powered rifle accidents happen near roads as result of someone driving up to a "situation" without fully understanding the consequences. Most walkers are not in such a big hurry to shoot.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
We also had the same experience as Jeremy we saw more driving on the road to go check out another spot. My take is it is not for me but if you see a deer and you GET OUT OF THE TRUCK and get off the road I don't have a problem with that. I think it will work some times and obviously in Fort Rock there is a lot of that done. But in that case you see a lot of rifles out the window and even guys in the back of the truck. We have driven around to look at different areas and see what the camps have hanging and if we saw a buck cross the road we would go after it but it is not my choice of hunting. As to a strategy I have hunted in some of the driest conditions imaginable but I use bears feet and or moccasins covered with wool socks for both bow and rifle hunting :angel: I think as you said it depends on the hunter some guys are happy to have a day in the woods with a pal and a cup of coffee and getting a deer is a excuse some of us are more serious.:shrug:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
No doubt about it that road hunting as a strategy is very effective...

You mentioned mindset.

It depends on what you are trying to get out of hunting. Not to judge anyone. One year a fellow hunter in our group filled everyones tags over in the Heppner unit. After a days hunt in the woods with no success he jumped into his rig, went road hunting and shoot three bucks and that's after he had already tagged his first deer.

Things are a little different these days. That was over thirty years ago.
Some people find it very effective to cross fence onto private property.
I couldn't afford to pay the price of the tickets for these crimes so I don't do it.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.......

So long as what you are doing doesn't interfere with what I am doing, what you are doing is none of my Beeswax.....

·
Banned
945 Posts
I agree with much of what your saying EHunter, if you safe about it why not. Where a lot of them scare me is as you said hunting "from" the vehicle and dont get out, I also have a bit of a problem with just getting out with your rifle if you didnt see anything, and start pointing it around before you are aware of your surroundings.

When I am scouting around I may have my rifle in the jeep, but its not loaded nor does it come out with me if I want to check out a clear cut or area. If I see something I'll go back take it out, get off the road, load it and do what I will :D. Not my normal method by any means as I usually make my plans before the season starts, but unfortunately we dont always get something at the planned location!

now that doesnt even touch all the garbage they are notorious for throwing all over the place. Once again, thats not everyone, but I see it often.

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Yep I feel pretty much about the same. Having grown up in Enterprise I know exactly what you mean and the impact of road hunting chaps my hide at times when I'm trying to hunt.

But like any redneck I can enjoy a good truck ride as well as the next guy. Something about slowly rolling along... eye's scanning the hills for anything out of place. Many an hour was spend with family & friends rolling along such places like Promise, Zumwalt, or Whiskey Ck lookin for a buck or coyote to pop.

I think there is some deep seeded desire to ride around in a truck.
No it's not real hunting, but it is hunting. And I don't think the real reason for doing it is the expectation of increased hunting odds, but rather the ride itself. It's more of a bonding thing if you ask me. Time spend together with family or friends. Talking about whatever is on our minds, lifes problems, the girl your dateing...or want to date, college, next weeks HS football game, the new job offer, the list goes on & on.

No, I think hunting is just the excuse to go for a ride in the truck.
Just look at how many wives enjoy going for a ride w/ hubby.
I seriously doubt they enjoy going simply to kill something.....no, I think it's all about the ride and time spend together.
Just another view of it.
Hunt'nFish

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know quite a few guys who drive from clear cut to clear cut and glass as they go. When hunting the West side that is often one of the best hunting strategies since it is nearly impossible to go cross country. Among my friends several of them are very successful hunting this way.

My experience has been that I see more game when I am on foot, but I really need to be in a locked gate area since there is a lot less traffic to disturb the animals.

I have been reasonably successful hunting with a muzzle loader on foot, but am still trying to get it dialed in hunting with a bow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have no problem with the old timers road hunting. I've done it and really don't like it. I would rather be in the woods while I still can. Glassing clear cuts is very effective also. I just don't like spending my time in a truck. For me it's really about the hunt and how I hunt. I've been on some great hunts and not bagged a deer before.

Pat

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If it works for you and is not against the law then people can do whatever they want to do. Whichever way is more productive is great. I enjoy both (hiking v. roading) for various different reasons. And will do either depending on my mood and the conditions. I do not care what other people think about it. They are more than welcome to hunt however they choose.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
It is a good strategy to get an ideal of where animals might be, nothing like hiking down a deep canyon,not even pushing a grouse, only to walk back to your rig and see a herd of animals feeding right next to the rig, literally.

Done legally, I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i totally agree with everything you say and i hate when people just road hunt then brag about how they get a deer every year. ya why dont you actually try hunting.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I primarily hunt behind road closures and hunt deer bow only so this doesn't work for me. I glass clear cuts in June and July to find big bucks in more open country while in velvet and then go back to the reprod or timer adjacent to those areas in early November to find rub lines and set up a tree stand.

As age encroaches on an aging population of Oregon hunters, I believe part of the road hunting community still wants to hunt, but they don't have the endurance that they had when they were younger. I don't have problem with old guys driving around in trucks looking for a buck.

I don't care for Bow Road Hunters. I have heard too many stories of the buck missed by only an inch at 90 yards:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
thank the GOOD LORD we live in a place that allows us to hunt by whatever legal & safe means we can. i enjoy walking and climbing and getting turned around in new areas more than road hunting any day.

tomorrow my 18 month old boy & i are going to be hunting blacktail in the comfort of my ford pickup. slowly driving from clearcut to clearcut glassing where i can. i pray that i can post a picture of my little guy sitting atop a big gray monster....

only in AMERICA brothers.......

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yep I feel pretty much about the same. Having grown up in Enterprise I know exactly what you mean and the impact of road hunting chaps my hide at times when I'm trying to hunt.

But like any redneck I can enjoy a good truck ride as well as the next guy. Something about slowly rolling along... eye's scanning the hills for anything out of place. Many an hour was spend with family & friends rolling along such places like Promise, Zumwalt, or Whiskey Ck lookin for a buck or coyote to pop.

I think there is some deep seeded desire to ride around in a truck.
No it's not real hunting, but it is hunting. And I don't think the real reason for doing it is the expectation of increased hunting odds, but rather the ride itself. It's more of a bonding thing if you ask me. Time spend together with family or friends. Talking about whatever is on our minds, lifes problems, the girl your dateing...or want to date, college, next weeks HS football game, the new job offer, the list goes on & on.

No, I think hunting is just the excuse to go for a ride in the truck.
Just look at how many wives enjoy going for a ride w/ hubby.
I seriously doubt they enjoy going simply to kill something.....no, I think it's all about the ride and time spend together.
Just another view of it.
Hunt'nFish
:agree:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
One strategy of road hunting that I use is after a good rain or a new snow I'll drive around and look for fresh tracks.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I know it is another effective meathod when done legaly.Whether as stated for bonding in the truck and the bssssing.Or yor flat ass tired from pounding the brush.Last week end I was pounding the brush,a road hunter was the recipiant of me push a nice 4 point onto the road.You can cover alot more ground.

By the way the guy that shot the buck did say thank you and offerd me a ride back the 6 miles I had hiked in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yea know at kicking 67 I'm good for about 4 or maybe 5 miles a day, so a little road hunting helps pace myself to make it through a weekend so I can do a walk in during the week. But some people are just getting away from the old lady a spend the whole day in a truck throwing beer cans and bottles, that I'm against....Roger

1 - 20 of 40 Posts