IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is worth welding the ribs on a boat that is riveted? Or would that be a waste of time and money. The search feature much reveal
on this subject. So who's brains are the best to pick Ifisher brains of course. Thanks for any help

sled

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I don't belive you can do this. They use a sealant between the layers of alum and then rivet it. Selaant is what makes it water tight. You would contaminate the weld with the sealant if you tried and melt the sealant out out of the joint. I think you would end up with a leaky mess. :shocked:

PS- I have a Starcraft and though about this too! :grin:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MBH would this also be the case if I tried to have the box in the middle welded to the sides.
That is my biggest concern because that is alot of support and it's starting to pull away from the sides they also flex a little more now that the box is pulled away. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
A lot of riveted boats are only .050" thick, which is why they're riveted. Too thin to weld. And the sealant that Miss B described is another issue. It doesn't take much to contaminate a weld.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just Rhino Line that puppy!!! :grin:

G

·
Don't weld on a riveted boat. The rivets are designed to give some flex to the hull. If it's leaking get the tools and reset the rivets.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
rhino line :whazzup: :hoboy: i would do what Keta said try and reset the rivets Good Luck

[ 06-13-2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I own a riveted sled which gets used very often, and as a result it takes a beating. When the leaks get too bad, like every three years or so I take it to SmokerCraft in Stayton and for about 80.00 they gut it, tighten every rivet and put it all back together again. And it takes them no time at all to do it!! I think it would take me days at least. Anyway, it is money well spent IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts