IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to vent for a moment. While fishing a small creek yesterday, three friends and I had a nice little hole all to our selves. This stretch of water was about 30' long and fishes three to four people.
We were catching fish and you could see some of them enter the hole from time to time. On two occasions two fishermen walked in and started to just fish away. no "can we join in" or "any room left" .
on top of this they were fishing differently than us which caused us to wait on them:crazy:.
I urge everyone to respect others and their space when fishing small water. Believe me there are fish everywhere, you just have to find them.

I know I don't own the river but common fishing etiquette is a must in high pressure areas.

Thankyou for letting me vent.

RR.

·
Registered
16,547 Posts
I always ask if I can join in. Hell, if anything it's a good ice breaker. Never been turned away yet...............

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have asked to join someone before and been told "no this is our spot". Which made it worse than if I had of said nothing and just fished the same hole.

That gets me upset because it is everyones "spot" regardless of who got there first. I dont expect to fish any spot by myself ever. Whether there were people there when I showed up or not. If there is not enough room for YOU then leave. Dont expect the other guy who shows up later to not fish just because you dont want to share.

Ideally, We would all ask to join and we would all say "ya, No problem plenty of room" regardless of anyother factors. But that is not the case.

Our actions are all based on prior experiences. Remeber that.

If you want to catch fish you either do it in a crowd or potential crowd or you go somewhere Really hard to reach far away.

Because in reality if there are fish there someone else knows it too and may have planned to try the spot that day also. A good or bad experience all depends on that persons outlook on the situation.

I see it both ways but I always have a share with everyone attitude. I am happy just seeing fish caught by anyone in the area. So I always have a good time.

Luke

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I stopped by river today, found a place that was open (2 anglers in the run below me, but no other anglers for 50 to 60 yds downstream). I look in on the drift to see a few fresh silvers moving in and I'm feeling pretty good about my timing. So, I'm there a little bit, trying a few things and the next thing I know one of the anglers below me is now next to me and going for the same fish I am. So I move up to the head of the drift to to stay in front of the school but then a guy pulls up and starts fishing next to me on my left. AAAARGH! Anyway, after 20 min I see the 15 or so fresh fish swim right by on their way upriver after ignoring all we had to offer. Rather than sit and wait for another batch to move through I decided to leave my new "friends" behind and move upstream where I fished in solitude for the next hour as the same school of lockjawed coho moved on through.

I didn't berate the other anglers but I was a little perplexed that on a day where the angling pressure was very light, and good, unfished water readily available with fish visibly on the move, these bozo's had to saddle right up to where another angler (ME!) was patiently working a piece of water. I can understand this behavior on the days when a river is mobbed but we were the only 4 anglers in a good 100yd stretch.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Simply, two jerks on the end of a rod.
Why I quit river fishing in crowds.
Probably why I don't have any red meat fish on the table.

You set a good example, move upriver and enjoy the time fishing.:clap:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There alot of people like this. They simply lack common courtesy and or manners.:yeahthat: Pretty basic.. But there is a whole bunch more people out there who are courteous and well mannered. So I choose to be around those people. Furthurmore there are alot of areas/Rivers in this state that have no pressure on them at all. Walk the extra mile, take the road less traveled. Believe me the rewards can be great, and the Headaches are few.Just being alone on a River bank is a great feeling. As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate the simpler better things in life. Think about it and maybe you will agree.:) Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That gets me upset because it is everyones "spot" regardless of who got there first. I dont expect to fish any spot by myself ever. Whether there were people there when I showed up or not. If there is not enough room for YOU then leave. Dont expect the other guy who shows up later to not fish just because you dont want to share.
Luke
Sorry fish Addict80, I respectfully, but completely, disagree with you. Don't know why things have changed so radically in the last few years, but with the exception of a few notorious meat-holes, your concept of "sharing a spot" is not how most of us have learned to respect other fishers and work a river.

You should expect to fish within casting, and drifting distance by yourself on most stretches of river. If you show up on a drift that a fellow fisherman is working, move to the next drift on the river. I am guessing that the confusion stems from lack of knowledge about the difference between plunk fishing and working a drift. Plunk away in a meat-hole elbow to elbow if you want, but stay out a drift when a fellow fisher is working it. Most good fishermen will move out of the drift, and on to the next one, after they have worked it for awhile and let you slide in. A lot of fishers can work the drifts and holes in a river that way without spending "quality time" elbow to elbow screwing up each other's fishing.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I feel your pain R/R. Getting crowded on a small creek stinks. Four people in a 30' stretch of water is already pretty tight.
On a side note, if I'm in my drift boat, I don't even ask if I can fish around them (bankies). I just politely work my way through, trying to stay off their "good" water. Sometimes that is accomplished by actually passing between them and the bank. Other times, you just have to do your best to get through quickly, with minimal diturbance.
Most the time, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Glad you got to get out at least!

:cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts

Luke
:eek:oo: Wow I hope you don't get a lot of people agreeing with you because I think you are totaly wrong. I would never crowd in on someone already fishing a hole without asking if they minded, and if they did mind I would leave. Most rivers have enough space for us to spread out. I was always told that if you can only catch fish in one place and with one technique then you don't know how to fish. I have never fished a river were I couldn't find a hole to get away from the crowds, but fishing being what it is, as soon as you are the one catching, then the crowd finds you. I think a person that just fishes to catch is not a fisherman, and we will never change their attitude with these posts only time and experience will do that.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Traditionally, fishermen in bygone days, respected other sportmen and expected the same for themselves. Sadly, I observe the "heck with you", mentality more on the river, stream or lake. I hate it!:frown: Whats the difference if you bring the family and play your boombox, kids throwing rocks in the water, driving your boat fast by my line or anchored boat, or any other disruptive behaviors not fair or polite to others in the "rat race World" we are trying to find some peace and solitude within?

If I get up out of my warm bed and go to a good spot before the sun comes up, so I can maybe pick and choose where to fish that morning, you better believe I won't be happy if you come along later and start "barging in" on the area I staked out by personal planning and preparation to have a nice day fishing.:mad:

Your right! I don't own the river or whatever, but I do have the right to expect courtesy and recognition of my fishing area by virtue of being their first! Fair is fair! Do your "thing" but don't stop me from doing mine?:)

Go find a spot to call your own, even if near by? Respect me and I'll respect you? What goes around, come around.:twocents:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You should expect to fish within casting, and drifting distance by yourself on most stretches of river. If you show up on a drift that a fellow fisherman is working, move to the next drift on the river.
Just sayin.....
:agree:What you are saying would be ideal wouldn't it? That is what I do but not what I expect.

I guess my expectations are too low? I dont know. I guess I just dont like disappointment. Having a fun time is more important to me than catching a fish or two.

I do know I dont mind sharing a drift with somone I dont know. I enjoy the whole experience of being on the river whether or not I hook a fish. I have also met a lot of great people there.

Luke

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
:agree:What you are saying would be ideal wouldn't it? That is what I do but not what I expect.

I guess my expectations are too low? I dont know. I guess I just dont like disappointment. Having a fun time is more important to me than catching a fish or two.

I do know I dont mind sharing a drift with somone I dont know. I enjoy the whole experience of being on the river whether or not I hook a fish. I have also met a lot of great people there.

Luke
You sound like a great guy that would make any day fishing fun. Your expectations may be a bit low with regard to courtesy from other anglers, but it sounds like while the rest of us are steaming, you just move on. I would share a drift with you anytime - just let me work my way from head to tail and you can follow me right through it, or vice versa.

Good fishing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I get a kick sometimes with this situation. I see guys sometimes going into panick attacks when they people approach. They start scurying around if they are confused--funny to see, and believe me I've seen this a lot over the years!

What gets me is some of these clowns that claim their "spot" literally don't move there darn tails all day and milk that sucker for all it's worth and not allow anyone else the stab.

However, I guess it even happens with boats also. Some of these guys put in at the Guide Shop and race downstream to Donaldson's and claim their "spot." Some are known to take out and put it in again on the same day. I've heard that they pass up good water, but wouldn't know!

I steer away from the mob because you will always have someone either march up and in, or slowly work their way in with charm and nice conversation even if the "spot" can't take anymore lines in the water. That's whay I fish tricky water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No mobs and you gotta be on the stick to land 'em;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
6 guys fishing 30' of bank?
Why would ANYONE want to fish like that?
Someones going to get hurt with those 9' leaders flying around.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I will admit there are exceptions, (I'll race to Donaldson's, for good reason):crazy: but I would prefer go make my own news somewhere else, I like to think I'm better than that.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Luke
That has been my attitude the past few seasons.
RiverRanger. I agree, there are many fisherman that lack courtesy and will scoot right next to you on a small drift. If it is a meat hole then I have come to expect it. Either way, there seems to be little that I can do as a fisherman to prevent it. I dont go fishing on my days off to get into altercations. There seems to be some fishermen who have chips on their shoulders and they seem to be the ones that will scoot in, give you a glare, and start casting over your line.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Traditionally, fishermen in bygone days, respected other sportmen and expected the same for themselves. Sadly, I observe the "heck with you", mentality more on the river, stream or lake. I hate it!:frown: Whats the difference if you bring the family and play your boombox, kids throwing rocks in the water, driving your boat fast by my line or anchored boat, or any other disruptive behaviors not fair or polite to others in the "rat race World" we are trying to find some peace and solitude within?

If I get up out of my warm bed and go to a good spot before the sun comes up, so I can maybe pick and choose where to fish that morning, you better believe I won't be happy if you come along later and start "barging in" on the area I staked out by personal planning and preparation to have a nice day fishing.:mad:

Your right! I don't own the river or whatever, but I do have the right to expect courtesy and recognition of my fishing area by virtue of being their first! Fair is fair! Do your "thing" but don't stop me from doing mine?:)

Go find a spot to call your own, even if near by? Respect me and I'll respect you? What goes around, come around.:twocents:
I think we're all talking about the "Golden Rule". Live by it. If someone is in the spot...just move on, unless it is traditionally a combat fishing hole or are invited to join. Granted, we all say if someone shows a little courtesy we'll respond in kind...but realistically speaking (in most cases), we don't want the company. If we did, well...we'd probably invite the newcomers to give it a shot as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ahhh.....

The joy's of trib coho season

:argue:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts