IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost a VERY good man today.I dont have the words to express how sad i am feeling.Not many people in this world i can call a friend but this man was.My PRAYERS go out to his family and to all who knew him.This world will indeed miss him RIP my dear friend

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Len use to fish at our house in the late 70's, early 80's. Spent many a day fishing next to him. Super nice guy.

RIP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Len Self was an awesome person. I used to help him when I worked at Stevens. He was always so great to work with, Just an all around good person.R.I.P. Len :flag2:

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I'll always be thankful to Len. When I was 18 year old kid just starting out on Tillamook Bay in a 14 ft car topper I wasn't having much success pulling spinners at the Oyster House.
I was headed home and stopped at the old Safeway in town and parked next to Len. We struck up a conversation and he proceeded to give me a personal salmon seminar in the parking lot giving me the basics of how to get it done. I thanked him and we went our separate ways. It wasn't until I got home that I found four of his spinners in my boat that he had tossed in before we had parted ways at Safeway.

RIP - I hope they are all 40 pounders in heaven.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
That is a sad one !
RIP ! Time just fly's right on by.

I loved the show he did "Fishing the West" on the Wilson River (Tidewater). A true professional.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Len was a fantastic guy and superb fisherman. He was always willing to offer advice to anyone who asked politely.

About 10 years ago, I screwed up and cut him off in a troll lane. To make matters worse, I tangled up three of his boats lines. Fearing the wrath of a ticked off guide, I began to apologize profusely. He just smiled and said "lesson learned" as he went about working on the tangle.

I thought that was very very cool.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
He was a very nice guy I am glad to have met him and talked to him, Good fishing Len:flowered:

·
Registered
38,072 Posts
Have known Len since our days together in the National Guard out in Forest Grove. Didn't even know he liked fishing back then. Nice guy. Dang..... Missed by many.........

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
:( I had not heard about this. Len and I were buddies in High School, played football together and I fished with him once or twice. Several times, at the Sportsman's Show, I would stop-by his booth to say hi but, he was always so busy with other folks, I would eventually just walk-on - - - 'opportunities lost - - - 'sad. Rest in peace, my friend. Don

·
Administrator
41,357 Posts
Len, your legacy lives on in the knowledge, inspiration and confidence you instilled in so many. I know I'll see your spirit on the water again and again. God speed, Len.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I first met Len working as Electricians on a Tektronics project in the early 70s. We hit it off and started showing each other our favorite holes on the Trask and Wilson. One day He bought a Lavro driftboat and told me He had decided to get His guide license and quit the electrical trade. He put a trailer down on the Wilson trailer park and started to guide Chinooks and slaughtered them that year by the Rock across the river. He went on to be a very accomplished guide, doing shows on Fishing The West with Larry and eventually mastering the whole coastal fishery, as well as the Willamette. He will be greatly missed by the fishing industry and also very much by Me!!!

:flowered:RIP Big Guy:flowered:

·
Registered
16,172 Posts
Did not know the man, but judging by these posts -- and particularly Pearl's -- it is clear we have lost a fine guy. My prayers too for Len and his family.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Did not know him but heard lots of good things about him! Prayers for his loved ones!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Len was a great man! Even to the "new blood' on the river he was most helpful. I really enjoyed sitting on the bench at Tackle Time in the early mornings, with him, and talking tides and finishing our coffee before clients started showing up. Always a gentleman!

I made the mistake one day fishing next to him at B-10. We both had full boats of clients. I was working hard at it to scratch out a fish and my clients would say to me "Look! he's got another one" :palm:. Len was done by 10am and I think I came in around 4pm.

God bless you Len and THANK YOU for all your kindness and help.
We'll keep you in our prayers Terry
Sincerely
Pete Grace

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just loved to listen to his seminars at The Sportsman's Show. Lotta "know how". And ya had to love those "britches" he'd wear! "Colorful"--just like Len.
RIP...
gotZem!!!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts