IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get any more fishing gear, I may end up sleeping in the Garage with the new boat...BUT I'd sure appreciate any advice on the benefits of crabbing equipment before I spend any money. I used some collapsible cages this weekend and they seemed to work well and the space issue was a real benefit, but I saw a lot of the large round cages that seemed to be preferred. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If you crab for any extended periord of time you will end up with a variety of different pots, rings and traps. Due to losing some, buying some on sale, finding them at garage sales ect, ect..

I have all types. But I have been most impressed with the black collapsible Danelson's traps. Make sure you get the new ones with the plastic hinge. For the value, $16-18 on sale, you cant go too wrong. You can buy at least 5 of those with rope, buoys and bait cages for the price of 1 of the off-shore traps.

Don't get me wrong, I have 3 of the off-shore traps and they have there place in the Ocean, but for bay crabbing those Danelson's are a great value, and they are much easier to pull.

Don't forget to get some rings, they will keep you busy between checking your traps.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Like Andycoho, I've built up a collection over the years. The folding Danielson's are OK. I upgraded them with the weighted gates.
I also have a big 32" rubber-wrapped commercial job that works well, but it's heavier than a dead priest and only gets worse as the day goes on.
If you have the $$, Protoco makes the best gear whether it's rings, slip rings, or pots. Their vinyl coating is bulletproof, and the wire they use is top quality and won't rust. I have 3 Protoco rings I've been using for 17 years and they still look new. And I don't even bother to wash them off.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I too have a variety of cages, pots and rings. I like the box style cages the best, but have learned the hard way about keeping them in place. They are very lite weight and I have all my gear rigged with matching double floats w/ 50' of rope. I have found with the lite cages that in heavy current that they will drag along the bottom without some weight added. I had some old heavy lead weights and zip tied them in the bottom, which now keeps them from being drug around. The worst design I have found is the pot style with the slip ring sides. I have never had much luck with them and we loose a lot of crab into the bottom of the boat while working the pots. :shocked:

The only time I use the rings anymore is when I have kids in the boat. It keeps them busy and entertained to run around and pull them. Otherwise, I like to drop the pots and cages, let em' soak and go give the fish a try.

Remember to watch garage sales in the winter time. On occasion,they can be a great source for good crabbing gear. :grin:

SD

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I use Danielson traps that I have had for over 10 years. I've lost some and torn some apart when they got stuck on something, but they do catch crab. I rinse them with fresh water after use and if they get to where they rust out, I chuck em with no remorse.

You can't leave them through a strong tide cycle because they can get dragged to deep water, but we have no problem getting limits when we tend the pots. At $18 each (plus the rope and buoy's), I don't worry about anyone wanting to steal them, just the crabs that are in them.

I weight the doors with 4 oz sinkers secured by a zip tie and hang a bait cage from the top center. They are lightweight, inexpensive and keep our freezer full.

I have 2 ocean pots, but restrict my crabbing to late Oct and Nov for the best quality and have no problem doing that in river, so the ocean pots sit in the backyard. I don't think I can lift them empty much less full of crab.

There are some awfully pretty pots you can buy for $50 to $100 each, but that would mean that my 6 pots would cost up to $600 rather than $100. Doesn't make economic sense to me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Buy the Danielson Pots. They are a great value. Make sure and get 50' of good high quality rope. Thicker is better. I like to use the climbing style of rope with the different colors, it doesn't hurt your hands as much. The thicker rope will give you more to hold on to, remember your rope will be wet and hopefully full of crabs when you pull it up. :grin:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Protoco pots and slip pots are great. I also have some rings that work great too. Personally, I wouldnt bother with the Danielson. Not for where I do most of my crabbing anyway. My Protoco pots are 8 yrs old and still look new. They stay put where they are dropped, they dont need to be modified, and they dont rust. I have read numerous stories on this board about people losing the Danielson cages. Wheres the cost savings in something I have to add weight to and then throw away after a few seasons because they rust out? Spend the money, buy good stuff and buy it once.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Protoco are the best!!!!!!!

I currently have 5 of their pots. No problems at all. Yes they get heavy at the end of the day but they will not float away.

The best way to buy these is at the February Sportsmen Show. Englund Marine usually has the best prices and they sell rope in pre-cut lengths with buoys ready for crabbing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have really become a fan of the "volcano" style ring (These are different than slip rings). It has a solid larger ring on the bottom and a smaller solid ring on top. The two rings are connected with netting. The crab can get into it as fast as a ring but can't get out of it when you pull. They also can stack in your boat. They run $17 at Fishermans in Salem for a Danielsons model and $40?? for a Protoco model. I have the Danielsons and it works fine. If you are going to crab the bays I would stick with Danielson's stuff but if you are going to be crabbing the ocean or leaving stuff overnight (to be stolen) then I would go with the Protoco because it is heavier.

[ 10-28-2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Protoco Slip rings are king in our boat!!!
We have amassed a nice pile of a variety of pots, rings, traps, etc... However we have yet to find anything that works as phenomenally as the protoc slip rings. They give you the ease of a ring with the security of a trap. The secret is to still be moving while you are pulling them up, take out all of the slack and then keep the boat moving. It gets tiring after a day of pulling but usually we are in and out in a few hours, so unless you are a pansy even a lightweight can handle that. we usually run the maximum 3 per person and by the time we are done putting them out we are usually ready to start checking them. Last weekend we went three guys 20 guage breaker keepers, in about an hour and a half. That was more than we could eat and we still had time for an evening duck hunt.

That is living good.

By the way we have had nothing but problems with the danielsons, to light and the seals just rip them apart.

Almost forgot, Freddies in tillamook has the best prices on them that I have found.
FOD

[ 10-28-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The slip rings are great because once the kids start pulling, they don't have to pull as hard as the colapsable rings because the crab can't get out...That means that dad doesn't have to stand there and yell faster faster faster!!!!!

PeterMac

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Aren't the slip rings just a glorified crab ring? Although the crabs can escape from a Danielson pot, and eventually will if the bait is gone, they have to work at it. With the slip ring, they can just walk away unless you trap them by pulling it up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The slip rings are a hybrid between a ring and a trap. When they are lying on the bottom the sides are down and the crab can come to the bait cages easily. When it comes time to pull them up, the sides come up with the rope and enclose the entire ring. That way as long as you keep tension on the rope as you are pulling it in the crabs cannot get out.
Check this link out it gives you a good idea of the protoco slip rings and traps.

http://www.cabelas.com/information/Fishing/Protoco-Crab-Traps.html

They work great.

FOD

·
Registered
172 Posts
The slip rings are a hybrid between a ring and a trap. When they are lying on the bottom the sides are down and the crab can come to the bait cages easily. When it comes time to pull them up, the sides come up with the rope and enclose the entire ring. That way as long as you keep tension on the rope as you are pulling it in the crabs cannot get out.
Check this link out it gives you a good idea of the protoco slip rings and traps.

Protoco Crab traps and slip rings

They work great.

FOD

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Danielsons most crabs per dollar invested. Add weight (rebar, brick) and customize the doors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts