IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes! I would enjoy some news from the reach as I also plan to visit this weekend. please let us know how it fairs.

Thanks!
FullFreezer

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The tally from the fish checker at Ringold for Saturday was 55 boats, 15 fish. We accounted for some of that :wink:
We fished from Ringold to the Punch Bowl. Didn't mark a lot of fish in any particular spot, so we worked it hard everywhere.
Fishing will only improve as more arrive, so ya might as well go!!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The fishing has improved, but there is going to be a HUGE tournament there this weekend. The guy at Motyka's in Richland says not only will it be bumper boats, but the camping spots are already full(?)...hmmm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ok, what is the secret???? i have fished ringold 3 times with not so much as a bump. have fished kwikies on divers, kwikies flatlined, mag warts, eggs behind divers...close to shore, mid channel, marking fish all over the place but cant catch one. have watched and heard of guides taking fish. what is the difference? is trolling speed the golden ticket. also fished mouth of the yak with fish stacked top to bottom but all with lockjaw. you can tell me i wont tell anyone else except a few of my closest friends, relatives and the guys on the boat launch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:whazzup: My Buddy is planning on going to the Hanford Reach area on the CR this week-end. Anyone have any reports from last week-end? :shrug: Understand they have raised the limit to 4 Chinook adults there... Would appreciate some reports / projections.

Thanks!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
46 Posts
:grin: Hey All, thanks for the reports, Backlash and Mojo!!
And "All in the Nookie", wish I could answer your question!
I, too, have spent countless hours in the Ringold and Vernida area with out so much as a bump, and the radar screen full of fish. :hoboy: Sorry I certainly do not have the answer to your question. :shrug:

[ 09-24-2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Weeler Dealer ]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Most folks use downriggers. You can run kwikfish or cut-plug behind them. The key is to be right on the bottom and backtroll downriver at a crawl. Leave your downrigger balls unclipped because they can and will get snagged. The bottom is uneven so watch your depthfinder and adjust accordingly but keep your offering as close to the bottom as you can/dare:). Current is swift in many areas so make some allowance for you ball blow back. Use heavier cannon balls if you have them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great Info Denali!! Thanks.. I will not go there this year, but will try it next... :smile:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey Jim, you're forgetting the sage advice we got from the "wide-bottom" in the Lund....."it's strictly a herring show..."

Oh wait, what's that hammering my Kwickie....?
:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
153 Posts
uhh...cannonball, ill be willing to buy as many new ballcaps (or any other hat you can think of) as it takes...just keep changing those BVD's.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fished below priest Rapids Dam last Saturday and Sunday. Quit fishing early both days. Saturday I put two nooks in the box and the same again Sunday. Kwickies are the only way to go. Kept the effective part of the gear 5 feet off the bottom with my downrigger. I think some guys are fishing UNDER the fish. Watch your depth finder. It don't lie guys! :dance:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I fished the wooden power lines Tuesday with no luck. The water is 66-67 degrees and crystal clear. I could see the bottom in 20 feet of water! The fishing will get much better when the water hits 63 degrees but looking at the forcast the fish will be black when that happens.You might give eggs or herring behind a diver a try if you go this week

·
Registered
276 Posts
SR1 5, do you have a 70s vintage Hewescraft? I think I talked to you last year. I had an older but similar hewescraft. Was that you? We ended up doing OK on spinners that weekend.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The fishing is starting to improve. Spent the better part of the day today fishing from the Wooden Powerlines to the BC Trench. We caught some fish, but short of a boat 'limit'. As far as what works, well, everything. I have caught fish on the Reach on everything I have caught salmon on anywhere else. Kwickies, Eggs, Warts, Herring, Other...... Read the water, current speed, depth, and pick what fits. Jet divers, cannon balls, downriggers, fish get caught on all of them. Use what you have used other places and have confidence in.

Hints- It is still 'early' for this fishery and a lot of fish are still traveling. Most fish in the Reach don't travel along the bottom. BUT, don't forget, certain stretches of water fish will usually travel the bottom i.e. the shallower heads of the deep, long pools.

Ripalip is right, TRUST YOUR FISHFINDER and fish accordingly.

BTW- The water is ALWAYS crystal clear on the Reach this time of year.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good Info, Backlash!! :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Tues. night to thurs. noon was the same ol Ringold. Minus two fish in the river. It'sa hard one to figure. Did pick up one,flat-lining a k14/sar.wrap though. But the most enjoyable time was at dusk/dark listening to the natural sounds, yoddles' chirps, and most of all those lovely schreeching sounds that aluminum makes as it slides 30 yards onto the point across from the ramp. You boy's from Battle Ground should turn the nav. lights on and bring a 3 mil spot light with ya next time. so as I don't have to ask if you need to make any calls!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bellinghamangler, yes I talked to you last year in the old Hewescraft but I now have a red Weldcraft Renegade. You have a new boat don't you?Glad to hear the spinners worked, not many people use them but they have been very productive at times for me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SR1 5
Sounds like we're both moving up in the world. I'm still getting used to the new boat. I've yet to just hit the Reach for a whole day. Will you be out there tommorow? I'm heading up from Richland in the AM. Green CustomWeld with a 120 Evinrude and a old (blue and white) Honda kicker.

[ 09-26-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: bellinghamangler ]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, we hit it from about 6:50am till 11:00am. Didn't touch a fish. We saw two caught, and there were lots of boats. Fished mostly with kwickfish off jet divers. Started at Ringold and moved up to the wooden powerlines.

I did manage to smoke my Honda's lower unit, it won't shift anymore. If anyone has a longshaft kicker for sale let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts