IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed there are a lot of other people out there{besides myself} who are right handed and fish with a left hand retrieve. I prefer to cast with my dominant hand/arm so I feel more comfortable always having my rod in my right hand.But Ive noticed that there are alot of level wind reels that you cant buy in left hand model.So I was wondering how much of a market share are these manufacturers actually missing out on?

[ 08-28-2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
36 Posts
The moment someone offered me a rod/reel that had a left hand retrieve, I was "re-born". It just makes sense (to me) to use my dominant right hand to control the rod. I've been told at numerous sportsman's shows by manufacturers that the NW is the only market for left handed reels (hence the limitation on many models) On the other hand, the # of left handed reels out there and new ones coming on says a lot about our market share in general.... Can anyone verify this? I know Bill reads ifish, how about "Buzz" - you out there?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I do every thing right handed throw, feel stronger right arm but I write, eat and toss hooks in the water and shoot off my left side.
So tossing a drifting rig left handed and reel right handed (no switching the rod after every cast like I see so many people have to do). Want a good laugh watch me fight a salmon or sturgeon with a lefty reel. I chaulk this ability up to my step dad he is the same way, but has never fished the NW so has no idea the advantages he gave me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Lefty all the way.

What is funny is somebody handing you their righty and you can't seem to figure out how this strange contraption works. :shrug: :laugh: :shrug:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I grew up fishing with a right hand retrieve on the casting reels I owned. It doesn't feel unnatural to use them now. However, I've pretty much changed over to left hand retrieves because of all the reasons mentioned by others. I still own a couple right hand retrieves because I love the reel (Penn 965 for example). The way I see it, left or right hand retrieve is fine for boat fishing. Left hand retrieve is a must for bank fishing where you have to make frequent casts and work the presentation.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I guess I'm the odd-ball :rolleyes: I'm right handed everything except when casting. When I was a kid learning how to drift fish for winter steelhead I got tired of switching hands so I learned to cast with my left arm. I buy nothing but right handed reels. Using a lefty feels odd. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Right handed, cast right, reel left...its how god intended it to be. :shocked:

Learned to fish with fly gear first, an old granger rod and an original South Bend reel (when they were actually made in South Bend Indiana)..cast right, strip/reel left

I own a few right hand retrieve reels, but they just dont feel right...casting with my left hand is not pretty...somewhat resembles a righthanded girl throwing a ball with her left arm...FORE!

[ 08-27-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
for many years i was a right hand retrieve guy.....i grew up casting right changing hands and then changing hands again.....no biggie......but in nthe last few years i have gone to left hand retrieve now my kid hands me his rod right hand retrieve and i cant figure it out....doh

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
I too like the cast-right and retrieve-left, EXCEPT, for when I'm running the trolling motor, sitting against the left side of the boat with my right hand running the tiller handle. In that position, I'm holding the rod straight out the back in my left hand, and for those times I use a right-hand reel.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I cast with my right hand, then switch the rod to my left hand while I pick out the backlash.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I started fishing with left handed retrive, til a shoulder separation in 93'. Then taught myself to fish with right handed retrive. Now I feel equally competent with both and fish both. Most of the reels in my arsenal are right handed.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I always thought it was better to jerk with the strong hand. I can fish both ways but I feel better when the rod is in my dominant hand.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I am an OD-BALL with bait casting type reels when drift fishing for salmon or steelhead from the bank I use lefthand retrive reels. When salmon, sturgeon or shad,, ECT. ECT. fishing from a boat I use righthand retrive reels... SPinning reels I use lefthand retrive reels. Am i weired or what????? :shrug:
DAB

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I want a penn 965 in a left hand retrive I'm right handed and reel with my left and hold my rod with my right Except when Halibut and sturgeon fishing :shrug:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
My first level wind was a right hand reteive and I found myself switching my rod back and forth in much the same way some people switch their knives and forks back and forth when they cut a piece of meat.

It was a breath of fresh air when I got my first left hand retrieve reel. :smile:

:smile:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Casting....swappin hands will cost you fish. Cast right , retrieve left...always have, always will. Its why I like Ambassadeurs...I have 4601's , 5501's, and 6501s' for me, the wife uses wrong handed counter parts. :shrug: Jign

1 - 17 of 17 Posts