IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past month or so there has been alot of questions on how to rig up sand shrimp. I know this is kind of late for this year but I took the time to take some pictures of how I do it. I have posted the method I use in an earlier thread but a picture is worth a thousand words. The credit for this version goes to Sheri Lyster ( I hope I selled her name correct).

I use a worm threader. I start from the tail of the shrimp an run the threader up thru the head.
Then you have to stick the point of the hook in the end of the worm threader tube.
Now holding the line tight (this is the hard part)slid the shrimp up the tube and around the bend of the hook.
I then slide the first shrimp up past the eye of the hook. Next I add a second shrimp and leave it so the head is just past the eye of the hook. I then take some elastic thread and wrap it around the shrimp starting at the top end or the end closest to the the swivel.
To do this all I do is wrap the thread over itself then wrap it down to the hook. When I get to the bend in the hook I will wrap the tail along side the body. This way the hook is completly hidden. I finsh with a couple of halve hitchs.
When it is time to add more bait I just slide everything up the line add a new shrimp and wrap with thread.
I never take the time to clean the extra thread off as I do not see any harm in it. You will find even if you shop at BiMart like I do that you can buy the same thread from the sewing section for less money than you can from the sporting good department. I use this method when fishing Sturgeon and the jetties. I have found this to be the best way to get the most out of your shrimp. It seems to be a lot harder for the fish to get them off. With a little practice you will get as fast at this as most are with any other method. I hope this helps to answer some of the questions.

[ 06-23-2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: ReelMcCoy ]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ReelMcCoy, great photos and idea on how to stretch that shrimp. I had not seen nor heard of anyone doing this but it sure makes scense or is that cents, to me. Thanks for the input and that is what makes this board so valuable to everyone.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Looks like that would work, but lots of work. I put the hook through the tail back to front, half inch down from the end/flappers then into and through the thorax and out the mouth, then a half hitch around the tail and I'm fishing. never had any problems and like me it's pretty simple.............. FB

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishbait,
I spent more time writing this than it really takes. After you practice a little at it you will find it to be vary fast. In fact my former fishing partner did it the way you do and I could put two shrimp on tie it up and be in the water before he could get the one shrimp tied on. The difference is the bait will stay on better. Maybe some day I will run into you when I am doing it and I can show you.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I cant tell you how many shrimp I go through when I hit the coast. Ill give this a go. I do now use the stretchy thread and have hed better luck keeping them on for more then one cast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts