IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I usually rig them weedless using offset shank EWG (extra wide gap) hooks. The top worm in fig. 4 of ianglers's link shows it, but I would suggest going in to a store that has some bass fisherman working there (like Fisherman's or Sportsman's Werehouse) to get a demonstration.

·
Registered
567 Posts
some people put a sinker on em *check the pics* or on the 3 inchers put a split shot 12 inches above the bait

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Here is a basic Texas Rig (sorry for image quality).

Note: Tie hook to line first for ease of use.
Materials used in demo: 2/0 Gamakatsu EWG, 4" Yum Dinger

1. Insert hook into tip of plastic worm and exit the barb about 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch down.

2. Gently pull and rotate hook through the plastic until the barb is facing the plastic and the crook of the offset shank is flush.

3. Set the barb back into the plastic so that the plastic lure is more or less straight (may take a few tries to get it straight).

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh, as far as how I use them normally.

No current: Weightless (the Senko lures work a little better here due to being heavier, although I don't like to buy them)

Current: Splitshot - A regular spplitshot is fine, but Bass Pro Shops has their XPS 'finesse' sinkers with rubber pegging that have a better weight variety and tend not to mar up the line so much.

Dropshot: I rarely dropshot, although it can be quite effective.

Carolina: Same as splitshot in function, but you are adding sound (and a reduction in line twist with the swivel).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Get em straight, the straighter the better. I have a buddy that throws them all messed up half hanging off the hook, then complains he's not catching any fish.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've learned that the best way to weightless rig is either by nose-hooking with a #4-1/0 (depends on bait length and diameter) circle hook or wacky-rig with an O-ring to attach to. Why?...Senkos and the good relicas' secret is that they shimmy at both ends on the drop; kinda like vibrating a pencil held between the thumb and forefinger, altho not to such a degree. No other lure that I know of has this seductive action. It's positively spooky. By T-rigging, employing a jighead or even using a hook that places the sharp end far back into the body of the lure, you eliminate that action at one end and reduce it at the other. Such styles of rigging will work but IMO not as well. Try the ways that I've suggested, you may agree.
Gamakutsa, Owner and probably some others make a fine weedless wide gap hook that works well in the weeds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts