IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great for organization, but the dang line always comes untangled at the worst time, caught in spinners, hooks, and whatever else lies in the tackle bag.

Here's an organization tip I was pretty proud of. A one inch wide piece of masking tape wrapped flat around a hair tie or big rubber band so no glue is exposed. Just a small portion of the spool circumference needs to be covered and the leader won't come out unless you pull on it. The only thing is you have to be a little careful about leaving a tag to pull on, because the end can hide under the tape.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time that I spend off the river and before fishing on tackle craft has become an important part of the overall enjoyment I get from the pursuit. I've spent time learning how to do everything from fly-tying to building my own handheld net, reel repair and boat repair, float making and spinner creation. Some of the tips I've picked up from magazines and this board have become just as valuable upon implementation because I personalize what I learn like everybody else.

Anyway, Fshklr, those linekeepers look like they would work pretty well. They remind me of the fly line leader spools that are designed to clip on the outside of your vest in the order of descending line strength. I just try to resist the urge to over-gadget.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
i'm with buzzo. i could go out and buy blue foxes or line keepers or whatever and spend my spare time staring into a vacuum (tube, that is, as in TV) or some other less than worthwhile pursuit. but the time i spend making my own gear is almost as good as the time i spend fishing with it. when i'm tying a jig or twisting up a spinner, it's almost like i'm fishing. plus the sense of accomplishment to have caught a fish on something i made is that much sweeter.

maybe once i have kids (and less free time) i'll be more inclined to buy my gear instead of making it. or maybe i'll share what i love with my kids and show them how to do it themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts