IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Chevy 3500 DRW
58,000 miles
Most miles are hauling 11 foot Arctic Fox truck camper / probably half of those are trips towing a 20 foot Hewescraft Searunner

Purchased new in 2015
5/2021 - front end shimmy when braking - place I take it to says rotors are warped - resurfaced rotors - rotate tires - all good
5/2022 - same issue but seems a bit worse - same solution from shop except this time they discover a caliper seizing so replaced those as well

Just wondering if some of you more mechanical folks have suggestions for a better fix or someone that has experienced the same issue have a suggestion? Seems to me I should not be resurfacing warped rotors every year. I realize I roll around a little "thick" in the weight category but I've been doing that since 2015 so why is it an annual problem now? I feel like I should just replace the rotors at this point but don't know a darn thing about them or what they should be replaced with.

Any help is appreciated. Rolling heavy ain't easy :oops:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Unfortunately the quality of rotors these days are not that great, I have the same problem with my 2005 F-150 even after replacing with new ones. I suspect inferior Chinese steel as that's where most of them are made. Maybe try some OEM?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'm amazed that you're having any front brake problems! Chevy's are known for lifetime brakes. I currently have a 2500 and a 3500 DRW, both 2003 4x4 Duramaxes with over 200,000 miles. Both have spent a large percentage of their life towing and/or packing really heavy. The 3500 had the rears done due to a leaky wheel seal, original rotors not turned. Both have original front brakes.

Driving question: Do you tend to ride your brakes going down hills? Might be that extended brake use puts enough heat into the rotors over a long period to cause problems. My 2500 has the Allison auto, good compression braking in tow/haul. The 3500 is a manual 6-speed with aftermarket compression brake. Going down long, steep grades I slow down at the top, drop a gear or 2, and use the motor's compression braking as much as possible. Even so, with over 30,000 lbs, I have to use brakes at times. When I do, I brake firmly, with extra trailer brake, and drop 10-15 mph. Then get off the brakes entirely, let them cool some while speed slowly builds again. Take a lesson from the semi's out there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was leaning towards replacing the rotors this time but went with the shops suggestion. Read on a few duramax forums of folks replacing them with aftermarkets like weld22 mentioned. I think I will try that route next. Based on what the rotor does it didn't make sense to me to keep resurfacing them and removing material but I second guess myself because I don't have a great confidence when it comes to working on certain things.

Maverick Maxcat - I don't think I ride my brakes. I'm a huge fan and user of that compression brake. I don't use it if I'm just driving around town without weight in the back but other than that it is on when I have the camper or boat attached. I will definitely keep an eye on my brake usage and how I use them based on your suggestions. I love the truck just don't love paying to fix brakes once a year.

I appreciate the input gents!

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
The only Ford I ever owned developed warped rotors @ 3,000 miles. Took to dealer for warranty. Next set did the same, back to dealer. Put up with it till 30,000 then took the truck to Les Schwab, problem solved. Bought a Chevy. It had original brakes (everything) when I sold it at 100,000+. Bought the GMC Duramax, same experience as Maxcat including rear wheel seal. I think they were able to save the brakes.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Mines an 06 duramax and I finally redid brakes for the first time in its life at 225,000 miles. Everything top to bottom was OEM. Never had an issue but were starting to get a tad thin.

I never turn rotors. Not really worth it anymore. And I almost always go back with OEM.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Didn’t read others info so sorry if I dupicate 😂

Rotors can only be turned so many times until they are out of spec.

If rotors are warped ,chances are pads could be uneven .And could not be completely flat.Best to replace pads at same time .

After market fluted ,drill rotors might be something to look into .Then get premium pads recommended by manufacturer of rotors .

Turn on the FN Exhaust brake 😳😂

Calipers might be not applying equal pressure ,due to dirt no lube on sliders .

Could also be the anti lock or a faulty anti lock .and that feels like warped rotors 🤔

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I never turn rotors. Turning them, especially enough to take out warpage, thins the metal. Thinner metal heats up and warps faster than thicker metal. My solution is, I replace rotors when they lip. Haven't had any warp in decades, so I guess I'm luckier than some.
That is the best repair by far, I will add to replace the rotors with a premium quality brand like Texstar or Akenbono and ditto for the pads. Cheap parts will buy you grief. Turning warped rotors has never been a good repair as the wartpage comes back as the thin rotors overheat.

·
Registered
24,467 Posts
My opinion. Some rotors are just junk. Good rotors will warp if you park the truck when the rotors are very hot. The heat under the pads dissipates much slower than the rest of the rotor. This causes the warp. Cool the brakes before you park.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
2015 Chevy 3500 DRW
58,000 miles
Most miles are hauling 11 foot Arctic Fox truck camper / probably half of those are trips towing a 20 foot Hewescraft Searunner

Purchased new in 2015
5/2021 - front end shimmy when braking - place I take it to says rotors are warped - resurfaced rotors - rotate tires - all good
5/2022 - same issue but seems a bit worse - same solution from shop except this time they discover a caliper seizing so replaced those as well

Just wondering if some of you more mechanical folks have suggestions for a better fix or someone that has experienced the same issue have a suggestion? Seems to me I should not be resurfacing warped rotors every year. I realize I roll around a little "thick" in the weight category but I've been doing that since 2015 so why is it an annual problem now? I feel like I should just replace the rotors at this point but don't know a darn thing about them or what they should be replaced with.

Any help is appreciated. Rolling heavy ain't easy :oops:

Rotors are one of the very few things I pay dealer prices for on my 4R, parts store stuff is mostly junk.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Warped rotors are usually a style of Braking ,on and off frequently,that allows oxygen to get between rotor and pad , or shoe and drum ,that’s how brake and tire fires start .Best to apply enough pressure to maintain speed you need ,most think it helps to get off the Pedal and give the Brakes a (Break😳😂) 🤷🏿‍♂️🙄🤔

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
My Ford need rotors replaced/turned every 4000 miles. I have multiple sets, take one off, put the other on, drop them off at the store to be turned and then put on the shelf for the next swap. I get several turns before they get to thin. I have tried multiple rotors, it is all the same. I usually have to much weight behind the truck causing the issue I believe. .

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My Ford need rotors replaced/turned every 4000 miles. I have multiple sets, take one off, put the other on, drop them off at the store to be turned and then put on the shelf for the next swap. I get several turns before they get to thin. I have tried multiple rotors, it is all the same. I usually have to much weight behind the truck causing the issue I believe. .
Have you ever checked to see if you can upgrade your brakes to a larger pad/rotor combination to better handle the weight you tow? It would also shorten your stopping distance

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I just swap rotors with oem on my bigger trucks. But I use EBC towing pads or oem. I never turn anymore. Learned my lesson. I even had a set on my Dodge, turned them for a brake job, not warped. But within 1000 miles after turning they were warped.
I did use slotted/cross drilled rotors with oem pads on wife’s grand Cherokee years ago. Sucker would stop really good. So I do it to a wrangler a few years latter and it sucked so bad I threw the original rotors back on and it stopped fine again. Not sure what to make of all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts