IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given about 15 pounds of frozen uncured salmon eggs from a friend who fished Buoy 10 last month. He cleaned the fish and took the eggs directly to a freezer bag, and then to a cooler until he got home, and right into the freezer :shocked: .

I know quality eggs you have to cure first before freezing, but I need some advice on these eggs. I'm thawing them right now. I'm also going to buy some Amerman Cure after the Duck/Michigan game for these eggs in time for the eggs to thaw.

Anyone have any good advice? Grant? Scott? Jennie? Carrot Team? Any other seasoned egg curer?

I've cured many fresh salmon eggs, but don't have much experience with frozen. Last time I tried, they turned out quite mushy, and I'd like to do a better job this time.

Thanks

SKP

[ 09-29-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Frozen uncured eggs are a tough nut to crack. I have someone who give them to me every year, in fact he just gave me 10lbs a couple of days ago. I have not thawed and started to cure yet as I have been thinking of a new way to try curing them.

To date the best way I have found is a salt/sugar/borax brine. I think the s/s/b helps harden the membranes up. The eggs turned out ok this way, but the brines make the eggs drier than I like, I prefer to fish a softer wetter egg that milks out, especially for salmon. I have also found that thawing them slowly, not at room temp but in the fridge, helps. I would be curious if anyone has a tip on a better way to cure them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
scooby you hit it on the head. after curing them. I let them air dry until they are tacky,pack them in borax and freeze them if you don't they will keep weeping.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grant? Scott? Carrots? Beets? Ducks? Go Ducks! Jennie? Scottie? Willie? Anyone?

Anyone else want to chime in?

I've thawed the eggs, and now they are in Amerman's cure, thus the 48 hour flipping process has begun. These eggs are real juicy. I'm not sure if that is good or not.

By the way, Sportsman's in Salem has about 10 containers of Amerman dry cure, and a bunch of quarts of Amerman's. It's nice that they weren't out this time.

SKP

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The secret to curing frozen egg's is thawing them out sloooowley, in a cooler. Sound's like you already have them in cure though.

Not a problem, you have chosen a quality cure so you should be O.K. Once they have been in Scott's cure for the recomended amount of time, strain off the extra juice. Then fan dry on a towel for about an hour. Now, if it looks like the egg's are a mess ( you will be able to tell if you end up with a bunch of single egg's, or a thick goo) try rolling them in borax or better yet a good dry cure like Oregon egg's dry cure. I am not familiar with Amermens dry cure, but if he has one, USE IT!!

If they were unthawed to quickly there isnt a lot you can do. But I have been able to save some sorry egg's over the years with a good quality dry cure over the years after curing them in a good quality wet cure. They will never fish as well as egg's cured fresh, but will still fish well and get you some bites.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Keep this to the top for the week days. Lots of people out fishing.
I have no solution, except I have heard (and not sure how this works) that you should put this in a salt water brine to toughen them up a bit. I'd experiement with a small batch, until I got what I wanted.

Hard to do with a full block of frozen eggs, but try!

Jen

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I've got at least 50 pounds of uncured block-frozen eggs in my freezer right now, and they are going to the landfill next week as we are getting ready for another Alaska trip. Plus another 20 pounds or so of eggs that were cured in Alaska, then frozen. Anybodys who wants them just e-mail me. Free to good home.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had these eggs in Amerman Cure since Saturday around 7 PM. I've been flipping the container every 8 hours or so. This morning, after 36 hours, the eggs still don't appear to have absorbed any of the juices back. I'll post more after the 48 hour flipping period. I'm not sure if these will be good or not. I do plan on fishing some of them later this week, so I'll post results then.

Should I let them sit at room temp. an additional 24 hours?

Thanks,
SKP

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
SKP- I just got done putting up 25 pounds of frozen eggs myself and have already fished them. They held up just fine. (I even backbounced some to see how they'd hold up)

The key is to freeze them fast, and thaw them slowly.

they will fish tidewater best because they have several eggs w/ damaged membranes...this causes them to milk out pretty fast. So, you will have to replace your baits often w/ fresh ones.

dont give up on them! I know you mentioned that they have not soaked up all the juice...thats ok, fish 'em wet!

ps- I used Amermans cure on most.

[ 09-22-2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Sounds like you thawed them already.

I have used a 1/2 cup un-iodized salt, 1 cup borax, 5-7 cups water brine. Double or tripple the batch for more eggs.

Keep the brine cool to room temp. Let the eggs thaw slowly. then cure as usual, Amermans is fine.

Not near as good as fresh, but better than alot of eggs. The thawing process is crucial. As the membranes thaw, the salt/Borax toughens the membrane, preventing rupture.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thawed them at room temperature. It took about 5 hours.

I've now placed them open in the fridge to dry a little bit. They are very mushy, so they must be firmed up some. They are just too sloppy with no firmness.

We'll see how they fish on Thursday.

SKP

·
Registered
530 Posts
You know what old frozen salmon eggs are good for?? Sturgeon bait!! This is one of my go to baits when I want to catch a legal fish. Hook and 1/2 hitch a whole skein like you would a smelt and then hang on. The sturgeon can't resist. Talk about a scent trail!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
hey Sled Dog, that is an interesting tip. Never did think of trying eggs for sturgeon. :cheers:

·
Registered
530 Posts
forgot to add, I use uncured eggs for sturgeon bait. Have never tried using cured ones. You have to pay attention as they don't hold up well to more than one good biter, stretchy string helps a lot to keep them in place longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
great sturgeon bait this time of year. A strip of belly meat can work well at times also. One thing to consider doing with the uncurred eggs is put baseball size pieces of uncured eggs into spawn sac, tie up and freeze that way. You can start fishing while they are still frozen if you want. Just put the hook through the spawn sac.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I let them dry open in my garage fridge for 8 hours. They are not mush any more :grin: They now look great. They look just like the quarts of Amerman's at the store. They are still nice and wet for fall chinook, but not mush. I could probably dry them a tad more, but I'll test them on the end of a hook before doing that.

I can't wait to try them tomorrow.

Now, I've been given another 30 or more pounds of frozen eggs to cure up, Thanks to Thumper!!! My wife just loves the smell of the house, fridge, and garage this time of the year! :shocked: :grin:
:wink:

SKP

[ 09-24-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And here are the results of fishing the frozen eggs that I thawed and then cured :grin: :

The stats:

September 25, 2003
34 Pound Hen - 8 AM
25 Pound Hen - 1 PM
Fished with a bobber. Also used Marie's Shrimp Scent. :dance: I also missed a bobber down. :shrug:

This is the FIRST time I fished with Amerman's Cure, and the second time with Marie's shrimp scent. Two trips, three fish, the other one was on September 13.

SKP

[ 09-25-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
SA-WEET!!! Good job on the eggs. Better job on the feesh!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
:shocked:

Man that's amazing. If I was a betting man, I would have thought it a lost cause to cure frozen eggs. Thanks for giving us lazy fisherman another option! Now I can procrastinate on the egg curing too...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts