IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place(s) to look for a new 200ish HP 4 stroke main motor?
My current motor is a 2 stroke yamaha jet. Nothing wrong with it, but I am considering going from a tiller to center console and maybe a repower at the same time makes sense.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
I like your plan.... Are you switching to prop? Honda. I don't think there's a good supply of motors these days. Get on a list and be prepared to wait.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your plan.... Are you switching to prop? Honda. I don't think there's a good supply of motors these days. Get on a list and be prepared to wait.
Prop? Maybe...I like the versitility of the jet (Willamette around Albany being my "home water") but I haven't run the river in 2-years. Mostly tow it up to the big C or the bays/lower rivers of the mid coast. Going to a 4-stroke prop seems to be the logical choice.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I see you are in Albany but I just repowered through Black Point Marine in Hillsboro. They sell Suzuki. Also Island Marine Salvage in Deer Island sells NEW Yamaha outboards and they were close in price to what I paid for the Suzuki’s.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just dropped off at Sportcraft today for a new Suzuki 140 that I ordered in early March. They've got competitive pricing and are great to work with. Suzuki and Honda dealer. Be ready to wait for a new motor of any brand.

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
Your wallet will like a prop as well. The Honda's are very stingy with gas. Dunno how they compare to the other 4 strokes. Would suppose they're all pretty close.

Are you sure you need 200 hp? The 150 props these days are pretty strong. See lots more 150's on the water these days so folks are catching on.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your wallet will like a prop as well. The Honda's are very stingy with gas. Dunno how they compare to the other 4 strokes. Would suppose they're all pretty close.

Are you sure you need 200 hp? The 150 props these days are pretty strong. See lots more 150's on the water these days so folks are catching on.
Propped, I would imagine a 150 is more than adequate.

I wasn't aware of such a backlog...must use the same chips as trucks.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just dropped off at Sportcraft today for a new Suzuki 140 that I ordered in early March. They've got competitive pricing and are great to work with. Suzuki and Honda dealer. Be ready to wait for a new motor of any brand.
Why the 140?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm going from a 2004 Honda 150 on a 19 foot Arima. The 140 should give me all the HP I need and it's around 100 pounds lighter than the 150. A warranty will be nice peace of mind as well. Moving up to the Suzuki 150 adds more weight than it's worth since these are stern heavy boats already. Other plusses: better fuel economy, NMEA2k networking built in, white motor to match my 'zuki kicker, multifunction digital display.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I'm going from a 2004 Honda 150 on a 19 foot Arima. The 140 should give me all the HP I need and it's around 100 pounds lighter than the 150. A warranty will be nice peace of mind as well. Moving up to the Suzuki 150 adds more weight than it's worth since these are stern heavy boats already. Other plusses: better fuel economy, NMEA2k networking built in, white motor to match my 'zuki kicker, multifunction digital display.
The 150 is much more motor than the 140. I'm not saying the 140 won't suit your needs, but it's a far bigger difference than the 10hp delta on the sticker.

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
I ran a 150 Honda on a 21 ft. Arima. Perfect motor for the application. A 140 on a 19 should be fine.... unless the 150's actually put out more than 150 and the 140 puts out less than 140.

The 150 Honda is/was at the bottom of their performance line. Their performance motors run completely different than the lesser motors. No full throttle starts are need to get the boat on top, ease into the throttle and you're on your way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The 150 is much more motor than the 140. I'm not saying the 140 won't suit your needs, but it's a far bigger difference than the 10hp delta on the sticker.
Yes, very different beasts. Different displacement and piston size (2044cc vs. 2867cc) but also 394# vs. 511#. That's a big weight difference on an arima. That Honda 150 guzzled ~15gph at WOT. The extra ponies and 2.5 liter grunt were nice to have, but very rarely used.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My buddy just had a Mercury 150 put on his boat from Stevens in Lake Grove (PDX) and they did it in 3 weeks. I think he paid about $15K installed

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 23' NR Scout. I would imagine the 150 prop would be enough. I have a 200 jet right now, so doesn't that equate roughly with a 150 prop?

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
An Arima can be "adjusted" for weight distribution. Have a custom tank made to be mounted up front and move the batteries. Any extra weight you can stuff into the front of an 19'/21' Arima is a good move. It'll handle better on the kicker when trolling in a breeze.

Ohmytodd: Needing to run the 150 Honda WOT says it wasn't enough motor for the boat. More hp from more cubic inches, better mileage. Shouldn't need to run the main more than around 4200 rpm. Prop???

·
Registered
525 Posts
An Arima can be "adjusted" for weight distribution. Have a custom tank made to be mounted up front and move the batteries. Any extra weight you can stuff into the front of an 19'/21' Arima is a good move. It'll handle better on the kicker when trolling in a breeze.

Ohmytodd: Needing to run the 150 Honda WOT says it wasn't enough motor for the boat. More hp from more cubic inches, better mileage. Shouldn't need to run the main more than around 4200 rpm. Prop???
I have the water tank up front that stays full as well as lead and DR weight storage up front. I actually prefer my batteries in the rear starboard to balance out my kicker. When I added a skip top it helped keep the bow down. It feels very well balanced now.

The only time I ever felt the need to run WOT was outrunning a storm on the Columbia a few years back, and it performed great. Any other time running WOT was because I wanted to, not that I needed to. Every once in a while it's fun to go fast, and 40mph in an arima is fast. 4200 is/was standard practice and put things around 22-24mph depending on conditions. I hope for the same out of the 140 and figure the main difference will be hole shot - I've got trim tabs to help with that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Why 4 stroke is the better question? I get it for trolling, but don’t really get it as a necessity for the main. 2 strokes offer less weight, bigger power curve, less fuel consumption, but are noisy.

I’m a huge proponent of buying American. Outboards are absolutely no exception. No reason to buy Japanese outboards when Mercury makes a top notch product.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m a huge proponent of buying American. Outboards are absolutely no exception. No reason to buy Japanese outboards when Mercury makes a top notch product.
There's something I have been wondering about...why not Mercury?

·
Registered
192 Posts
There's something I have been wondering about...why not Mercury?
Mercury makes the best 2 stroke and a fantastic 4 stroke. I confess to no first hand knowledge vs the others, but have read plenty of first hand experiences in The Hull Truth forum. Usually the issue when repowering seems to be going from one manufacturer to another due to rigging. Again, second hand info. Also, I think Mercury is cheaper and I’ve read has better customer service.

Definitely do you own research. The Hull Truth is an excellent place to go browse. Use the search function on the site, guys can get cranky over there if you ask a question that has been answered a bunch of times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts