IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what's the deal? Where's the reports? I know you were up at Fins, Feathers, and Furs camp last week enjoying some epic fishing. How about a first hand report? Hopefully you are getting some pictures ready to post. I was able to talk to a couple of friends of mine who were up there briefly before having to leave for the weekend, and it sounded like fishing was pretty good. They mentioned something about they quit counting numbers on their last day when they got to 60 :shocked:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Blackdog...

All I can say is the fishing was "OFF THE CHARTS"!

I'm not sure where On A Mission Dave is but, we both had cameras and I will be posting mine up in a few days.

Short story...Fishing was awesome. We landed in camp around 4:00 PM in the afternoon and by the time we came in to eat (Or should I say CHOW DOWN), we had over 12 Chinook to the boat. That's under 1 1/2 hours. Half on Kwikfish, the other half draggin' spin-glos and eggs. Making a fishing video has NEVER been this easy!

Biggest day in the camp was close to 60 fish landed in one boat. Biggest fish was 39 Pounds... the week prior they landed a 42 pounder. Doubles, triples and even a few Quadruples were the RULE. What's funny is that when one guy get's a fish on, the other guys keep their lines IN the water in an effort to get the Grand Salami! It's truly an amazing fishery.

Off the bank...the biggest fish was 32 Pounds, with many others in the teens+.

What also blows me away is this....Just how many fish we landed, that we simply released, that Otherwise would have been on the Barbeque HERE in no time! 15, 20, 25 Pounders released in search of the 30+ Pounders....ALL day long.

We also fished for Pike and Chums, both on light tackle. Once again, it was an every-other cast story and....NO Mosquitoes! It was colder and windier than usual thus I came home unscathed. Figures though, it's over 70 degrees there now!

All in all an excellent trip, great guides, outrageous food and a few new friends from all over the country.

Now it's time to hit the CR for a few days...in order to land those 1 or 2 fish!

Scott

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yep, sounds like the Nushagak that I remember. If we were catching less than 30 fish a day it's slow-something that's hard to emagine and hard to even discribe, you just have to expereince it to understand.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those that don't know, Travis Moncrief, owner of Fins, Feathers, and Furs, and ifish endorsed lodge operation, is located in heaven, otherwise know as the Nushagak River, which is outside of Dillingham, Alaska. The river is home to the largest run of chinook salmon in the country. You can find more info HERE !

Scott, I can't wait to see your pics! I was jealous before you guys left, and am even more jealous now. Combining unreal fishing with no mosquitos isn't even fair!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Blackdog, I'm sorry I haven't reported yet I have been busy giving away fish. The trip to Fins & Feathers was the best I have ever been on. Travis and his crew do the best job on the river. They have the best camp, shower and food. Thats not to mention the guides that get you into fish.
Marty Peterson is great and is alot of fun. Dave Grigsby from Corvallis does a great job. <I'm going to hook up with him on the South Santiam> Of course Travis is a class guy, and I would encourage anyone to fish with these guys down here, you will want to go to the Nush with them. I fished with Travis's dad Doug Moncrief, now I know where Travis got all his skills. Doug was a great fisherman, and a fine human being.
Just a little story. I think it was Monday or Thursday morning or maybe ever morning. We headed out 3 boats 11 fisherman. we mortored down to the "Confluence". The morning was beautiful. We started back trolling quick fish. I looked over as all three rods in our boat had fish on, and you gussed it, all 11 rods were bouncing with fish. Quad and triples were common all through the entire trip. I caught over 20 fish a day. The first fish I caught and relase was 30+ the last fish on Thursday I let go was 35+.
I can't say enough about my trip. I would encourage anyone who wants a trip of their life to call Fins and Feathers and get signed up for next year. I am a beliver in the Nusegak, and the camp of Fins & Feathers.

[ 07-01-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: On a mission ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts