IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a report and/or tips for bank fishing rivers near Garibaldi or Rockaway?

I plan on casting spinners or drifting corky-and-yarn.

If anyone can let me know where to find good bank access and perhaps colors that have done well in that water recently, I'd be most appreciative.

PMs are welcome, too.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Meverest,

I think the only "river" that has Salmon in it right now and is near Rockaway is prolly Nehalem River. They're catching them in the bay the past few weeks, so I am thinking they are some in the lower river in some of the holes. This is the "summer run", but since it's past August 1st, they dont' have to be fin clipped and some folks told me they're considered the "fall" run. Anyhoot, I am not 100% sure as far as bank access on that stretch of lower river and I think most of it is private.

I don't think the Miami or Kilchis has anything going on at this time of year, infact I am pretty sure of it. The Wilson has Steelhead, but the bulk of the run is up high.

I think all the action is in the bay at the current time. Your best bet is to, perhaps post on Open Seats and bum a ride from a fellow Ifisher and fish Nehalem Bay/River near Wheeler area. I was there yesterday and saw 3 caught for sure and heard of 2 more in the same area infront of Wheeler.

Good luck and maybe someone might have more insight on bank fishing.

Deja

· Registered
6,634 Posts
He's right, not a lot going on in the rivers right now, they are pretty darn low. The fish are mostly still in salt water except for the summers in the Wilson. Fish for them along highway 6. Bobber and jig is your best bet for them.

Check the regs about the Nehalem, I think there's a bait restriction on it some time in the summer and it might be now.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those tips. Two follow up questions:

1) How far up the Wilson do I need to go before things get promising?

and...

2) I see in some older posts that fishing off the jetties in that area may be under-appreciated. I've never done anything of the sort, but I'm willing to give it a try. I don't expect I'd get any steelhead or salmon. Is it worth the effort for the rockfish, etc.? What sorts of techniques do folks use off the jetties?

I don't get out to the coast much, but my job is taking me out there for a few days and I hope to get some fishing in on a free afternoon.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.