IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I took my 2 daughters on a horse pack trip with Wallowa Outfitters out of Lostine, Or in the Eagle cap Wilderness over the weekend. All I can say is wow.. that area amazing. And Wallowa Outfitters is super. I caught some very cool small stream brook trout out of crystal clear waters on dry flies (ant patterns) and saw some of the best scenery I have ever laid eyes on. The only down side were the mosquitos and horse flies. The little creeks were so clear you did not even need polarized sunglasses. They are super spooky but are willing biters if you are careful. If you have ever been thinking about a trip like this, I could not recommend it more enthusiastically. Our horse/camp guide (owner Steve) was stellar. He is a full blown American cowboy and was worth the price of admission all on his own! He made Elk sloppy joes one night for dinner that were amazing. But the other stars of the trip were the super athletic horses and mules that could climb up and down very steep and rocky mountain trail without missing a step. I am hard pressed to decide what photos to post. They can do no justice to what we saw up there.
Well, things haven't changed much since I did my backpack trip there over 40 years ago. Beautiful scenery especially when climbing peaks like the Eagle Cap, or any other, and looking down the glaciated valleys. It is easy to see why glaciated valleys are called U-shaped. As for the mosquitoes, they were horrible; and there were many, many horseflies and much, much horse feces.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts