IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2 daughters on a horse pack trip with Wallowa Outfitters out of Lostine, Or in the Eagle cap Wilderness over the weekend. All I can say is wow.. that area amazing. And Wallowa Outfitters is super. I caught some very cool small stream brook trout out of crystal clear waters on dry flies (ant patterns) and saw some of the best scenery I have ever laid eyes on. The only down side were the mosquitos and horse flies. The little creeks were so clear you did not even need polarized sunglasses. They are super spooky but are willing biters if you are careful. If you have ever been thinking about a trip like this, I could not recommend it more enthusiastically. Our horse/camp guide (owner Steve) was stellar. He is a full blown American cowboy and was worth the price of admission all on his own! He made Elk sloppy joes one night for dinner that were amazing. But the other stars of the trip were the super athletic horses and mules that could climb up and down very steep and rocky mountain trail without missing a step. I am hard pressed to decide what photos to post. They can do no justice to what we saw up there.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
wow Thats amazing That is a bucket list Hike for me some day

Reactions: jokofish

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I took my 2 daughters on a horse pack trip with Wallowa Outfitters out of Lostine, Or in the Eagle cap Wilderness over the weekend. All I can say is wow.. that area amazing. And Wallowa Outfitters is super. I caught some very cool small stream brook trout out of crystal clear waters on dry flies (ant patterns) and saw some of the best scenery I have ever laid eyes on. The only down side were the mosquitos and horse flies. The little creeks were so clear you did not even need polarized sunglasses. They are super spooky but are willing biters if you are careful. If you have ever been thinking about a trip like this, I could not recommend it more enthusiastically. Our horse/camp guide (owner Steve) was stellar. He is a full blown American cowboy and was worth the price of admission all on his own! He made Elk sloppy joes one night for dinner that were amazing. But the other stars of the trip were the super athletic horses and mules that could climb up and down very steep and rocky mountain trail without missing a step. I am hard pressed to decide what photos to post. They can do no justice to what we saw up there.
Well, things haven't changed much since I did my backpack trip there over 40 years ago. Beautiful scenery especially when climbing peaks like the Eagle Cap, or any other, and looking down the glaciated valleys. It is easy to see why glaciated valleys are called U-shaped. As for the mosquitoes, they were horrible; and there were many, many horseflies and much, much horse feces.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like an awesome trip. What’s a rough cost per person on a horseback riding/fishing trip in the strawberry’s?
The cost will vary depending on what you want them to do for you. One good option to me would be to have them haul all of you gear up to a good pot at one of the high lakes (like Mirror or Minam), and then from there you could live like a king for 7-10 days will all kinds of great gear that you did not have to carry in. From there you could do day hikes and fish and such. Then just have them come back and get you when you are ready to leave. We had a full service trip where he did all of the cooking and everything for us and did lots of riding. We moved every day and he went in ahead of time and had all of it set up before we even got there so that cost more obviously.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a bunch for the photos etc.

Always wanted to do a drop camp up there at some lake teeming with Brook Trout, stay a couple of weeks. Eat the trout for every meal. Paradise.
I did keep and eat one brook trout just as a novelty. I normally do not kill trout, but here are plenty there so I did not feel bad about keeping one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joko: I typically release trout as well but high lakes can get over populated with Bookies so don't mind killing enough to eat, no more. Less food to pack as well.
exactly. I think the ODFW might be trying to reduce the population of brook trout anyway. I would have no issue keeping them every day, but trout are not my favorite food and the guide made awesome meals for us. He also drank whiskey with me which was fun. Super interesting guy

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not fish much in the lakes as they seemed like they had very few fish. super cold and no sign of food in them. I watched for long periods with not a single fish rising. but the little creeks were full of fish. Probably eating the copious mosquito population!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts