IFish Fishing Forum banner

Reno area

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Loneangler 
#1 ·
Anyone have any recent experience/info on the Truckee - Little Truckee or anything else in the general Reno area? Going to be down there for several days coming up soon. thanks alot

G
#2 ·
Fish the Little Truckee between Stampede and Boca Resiovors.
From I-80 Drive up Stampede Drive- when you reach the conflucence of the Little Truckee on the North side of Boca, drive for an additional 1-2 miles (I think) till you see a concrete ledge that extends across the river, it use to be an old dam but is now reduced to a 2ft drop or so. You'll want to fish from the concrete ledge down stream about 300 yards till the river makes a sharp bend to the East. There will be a cliffs on the opposite side of the river, and this is where the deepest holes are. You can sight-fish in the tailouts above the bend in the river.

On the Main Truckee River check out "The Loop" and "Mills Bridge" -(http://www.dividedskyflyfishing.com/little_truckee.htm)

Pick up a Truckee River Map at the Reno Fly Shop and they'll have all the holes marked out for you.

Enjoy the Sierras!

PNW Fish Hunter

#3 ·
Be sure to check in with the Reno Fly Shop as posted above. Waters are low and the Little Truckee has only been flowing at 20cfs. That may change if they begin releasing more water from stampede to prepare for winter and the kokanee spawn. Plenty of water in the Truckee both in California and down through Reno.

#8 ·
I was emailed a report from the Reno flyshop saying a 37" brown was caught in the Little T last week near where it flows into the Resv. Some larger trout in there apparently ..
There are some large trout there but they usually move up from the reservoir if they are in the lower stretch. When the kokanee move up the river to spawn the large trout follow them.

#9 ·
We ended up fishing the Truckee just below Truckee.I believe the stretch is known as Fornication Rock.

Big Taratuala dry with a micro may dropper for the entire time. We landed 3 over 20" a few in the teens and some shaker types. Great day, temps in the 80's, water was 61* early and moved to 67* when we quit around 3.

Kudo's to Andy at the Reno flyshop for literally puting us on the fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.