IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing a 2/0 treble hook from u\'r finger

I had the joy of learning how to remove an Owner 2/0 treble hook from within my index finger. It was a pretty windy day, causing my boat to bobb all over the place...unfortunately I reached down to pick up one of my kwikies to put it away for the day, when a large swell threw me off balance causing my hand to jerk upward and into the hooks on my kwik fish.
I swear I could feel the hook scratching against my bone, giving me that wonderful feeling of someone dragging their finger nails down a chalk board. Never having done something so stupid, I attempted to remove the hook with my pliers. However the darn thing just would not move. Then Andy Coho who was in the boat next to me, informed me on the proper way of removing the hook.
So a friend who was fishing on my boat at the time, wrapped a long length of 30lbs test in a large loop around the hook. I then braced myself for the fun of a life time. Andy told him to just jerk it out of my finger. So, my friend jerked the line and set the hook!! :shocked: My hand almost hit me in my face and off course the hook did not come out. I looked my firend in the eye, with blood dripping down my arm and yelled at him "quit messing around and yank this thing out of my finger!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
So, he gives it the hook set of his life and thank God the hook comes flying out along with my fatty tissue. I immediate horked over the side of my boat from the pain. :sick: If anyone knows a better way of removing these things, I am all ears.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Re: Removing a 2/0 treble hook from u\'r finger

I prefer the emergency room and a novacained finger to "horking over the side of my boat from the pain" I guess that I am just a big weinie. Shut up Silagy!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Your play by play there in your story almost makes it hard for my to type now :shocked: I dont exactly have a solution to the problem but I am sure you are a gamer thou and will be back out at it again soon :cheers: Nothing a few stitches and some tape wont fix..........GO GET EM :wink:

·
Registered
608 Posts

I've heard of continuing the direction of the hook, since you can't go against the barb. The problem I've never tried to overcome . . . . Can you cut the shank of a stainless steel hook with the wire cutter portion of your needle nose pliers?

I hope you took the necessary steps to prevent infection, etc.

Sounds incredibly painful. Thanks for the visual . . . . now excuse me while I go hork!!

·
Registered
262 Posts

I've had that happen before, it was in the fatty part of the hand below my thumb. The hook was a 6/0 bobber hook. I pushed it through past the barb, pinched the barb off and slid it out. Then had to give myself stitches. It hurt like hell. :mad: I think waiting and driving to the emmergence room would have been worse.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

So, he gives it the hook set of his life and thank God the hook comes flying out along with my fatty tissue. I immediate horked over the side of my boat from the pain.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That gave me the shivers just reading it. I'm gonna go hork now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for sharing all of your own fun fill painfull adventures. At least I am not the only one who has felt this pain. However, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I'm sort of a shelp rock. If there were 300 people in a room, I would be the one the cieling tile would fall down on. My wife tells me when I 'm dead and gone she is going to put on my grave stone, "One exciting event after another!" Pain is kind of my friend...it lets me know I'm still alive.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Two words...emergency room.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Been there, done that. I feel your pain, had to do it to myself one time with pliers, if it hadn't come out on the first try it still might be there. Since then I've decided to go barbless most of the time.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

1.Cut lure off finger
2. Finish fishin!!
3. Go to emergency room, wait an hour with what's left of the hook sticking out of your finger
4. Get novacaine shot in your hooked finger
5. Wait 10 minutes for your finger to numb up
6. Watch intern yank hook out of your finger with 89 cent pliers
7. Thank intern
8. Leave and go home
9. Get $1,000.00 bill from hospital.

Did I forget anything??

Mark

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Fishing bass in the Dunes on Potholes Res. in Wash. Went to lip fish and he threw hook and I got it buried in the tip of the middle finger, clear in. Seven miles across lake to resort and my car. Fourteen miles to nearest hosp. in Moses Lake. Stuck my finger in the ice chest for five minutes until it started to look like the cubes. Took my needle nose pliars and grasped the hook in the loop. I pushed against the barb and yanked. Ouch, but popped out. My son almost fainted, but I continued fishing and never had a problem. Did check with a Doctor when I got home and he said I did it right. Still would suggest emergency if you are close enough. :shocked:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

Fishinmission, that is exactly what I did. They actually went into the janitors closet to get the pliers.

·
Registered
393 Posts

How about one through the earlobe? When I was a kid my buddys lure went into my earlobe as I followed him down the trail. Just cut the hook and pulled it through. Every once in awhile someone will ask if I used to wear an earring. :grin:

·
Registered
550 Posts

I took a Panther Martin Spinner in the left cheek (of my face). I was behind a guy who tried to cast when he hooked me. Fortunately, the line broke just in time to set the treble deep into my cheek.

I had to go to the hospital for that one, as it was too close to my eye. I must have been a sight walking into the ER. I must have looked like a new wave punk rocker of some sort. Strange thing is, it did not hurt too much, at least until they took out a syringe to numb the area. The docs needle hurt more than anything. Then I had to get a tetanus shot in the tush. Why cant they make a pill for tetanus?

Bonus: I did get to keep the lure.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Happened twice as a younger man, both times my father just grabbed the pliers and yanked it back out. Sure did bleed.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts

For those so inclined, the emergency room is a sure thing hook out.

For the adventurous, here is the recommended method: First, with treble hooks, cut the remaining two hooks off if at all possible. Nothing is more pathetic than a fisherman with his hands hooked together and it is dang hard to drive that way, let alone get a boat back on a trailer!

Next, make a fairly large loop with heavy line. This ain't the time to test the break strength of that spool of Vanish. Insert the loop through the bend of the hook. If by yourself, put the end of the loop around a boat cleat or some other immobile object. IMPORTANT PART: Press down firmly on the shank of the hook (this releases the barb if you do it right) and pull the hook out the hole it entered though. You don't have to snatch the hook out but it may take some pressure. Make wure you continue to hold the shank down hard. If the shank pops up as you start to apply pressure the barb will reengage and pull yer tissue out! Now hork over the side and go back to fishing!

Method two: This one will probably require a few of yer good buddies and a little teamwork, maybe a bit of Wild Turkey or other anesthetic/antiseptic: While yer mates hold you down firmly, have yer best pal grab the hook with pliers and roll the hook until the barbed end exits your screaming self, cut the barb off, and retract the hook through the original hole. Might as well save the anesthetic until after the hork. Pour a little on the wound, too, what's it gonna hurt. :shrug: :wink:

Now go back to fishing knowing that you are now a legend and will have a good tale for the campfire.

All you emergency room weenies: Forget about it. Who wants to hear about the nasty novacaine needle? :sleep: :grin:

[ 07-19-2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
993 Posts

GRANT NEVER MIND

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

in the emer room they cut the shank at the bend and continue around and voila out it comes. :shocked:

when i was doing my medic training in the er we had this guy come in with a k16 embedded in the underside of his forearm
. he didn't elaborate on how it got there. and passed out cold as a cucumber when i got out the novacaine needle :sick: . doc pulled out the snap-on stainless side cutters and when mr personality woke up i gave him a lollipop and a quickfish souvenir :laugh: ( minus the hooks ). alcohol may have been a factor. :blush:

1,382 Posts

I got a k16 trebble thru the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger once. i landed a nice 30 lb fall chinook whacked it and reached in to remove my kwik fish the damn thing start jerking and cammed the hook right thru my and jammed the hook right thru my hand boy let me tell you it hurt like the dickens when they fish was jerking the hook around. I had to kneel on the fish club it again then push the hook up enough to crimp the barb over to get it out. not I always hit the the things 3 or 4 times before I reach in the net. sliding the hook the rest of the way thru was a lot less painfull then trying to pull it with the barb intact so if it ever happens to me again thats the way I will remove them.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

ouch....the key is to get teh barb to return through its orignal hole tough to do without pain.....ER is best but if u have too....make sure there lots of pressure on the hook when u use the line to pull it back out

1 - 20 of 36 Posts