IFish.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a remote steering option for my kicker(9.9 Merc). I would like one with throttle control too. Anyone got any suggestions? Im tired of sitting on transom seat gettin ****ed on while passengers get the heater and the top.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've done a lot of research and TR-1 seems to be the one that has it all.

Along with having everything the unit is quite expensive. That's not to say that it isn't worth it for what you get and I seem to remember (don't hold me to it) that ifish members could qualify for a discount.

I'm looking for right/left - speed up/ slow down from anywhere in the boat but I'm not sure I'll find it.

If you do find something like that pls post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I started with the Panther electric steering. What a huge mistake. When you troll with this you have to constantly look forward to see where you are going, then look back too see the position of your kicker. You will probably not like the panther. They are slow to respond, they vibrate and they dont have a throttle control. I switched to the TR-1. It was more money but well worth it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have the Panther system on my NR and it seems to work great for trolling where there are not a lot of people, ie...Wikiup, Odell, et al.

I do not like when trolling around large groups of boats as there is no throttle control.

As for vibrations and speed to respond, I haven't had any issues. Mine was installed at Boatworks and they manufactured a custom aluminum bracket for it on the front of my kicker mount. It is very solid. It takes about 2-3 seconds to get a full left to right swing.

Good luck...

Tag

·
Registered
382 Posts
My boat has outboards on it so I use a quick connect - disconnect steering link between my big motor and my kicker. it mounts on the front of the motors...very convenient , I can steer the kicker from the helm up front by the heater (warm and dry ) when we catch a fish I step to the back of the boat and disconnect the steering link and run the kicker with the tiller...good control of the boat as we chase the fish.. as for throttle control from the helm for the kicker.... very frustrating.

Someday I will have a TR-1 Gold (I Hope) until then I just bought a TrollMaster Pro remote throttle control with 25 feet of cable so I can control the kicker throttle from anywhere on the boat, I also put an inductive run tach - hour meter on the kicker...so I can fine tune the RPM's. I haven't had a chance to try any of it out yet as Im installing tach and trollmaster today..in fact I quit installing to come in and eat lunch and saw this thread.

P.S. for those of you that will ask...I put the tach on the cowling with extreme all weather rough surface velcro. so I can still take the cowling off for service.

[ 05-15-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked out both systems on the web.... TR-1 Gold seems like the one to get...but at $2100!!! Anyone need any AB+ blood cause Im gonna have to sell mine. Thank god for credit cards and bankruptcy.

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
Try ezsteer out of Everett, WA. It is a very simple design and relatively inexpensive. A remote throttle kit from another manufacturer is offered in Cabela's.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ive been thinking of getting a remote for my trolling motor but I am aprehensive about backtrolling for steelhead with one. Often Ill drive between rocks less than 2 feet deep and the gaps are just wider than the boat. Would a Tr 1 or other brand give me the control i need for this type of fishing??? Is the system easily disconnectable so i could go to hand operation with little effort?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just had a panther remote steer and troll master throttle installed on my kicker. I'm going to try it out this weekend..... hopefully it will work fine. $600 vs $2000.

·
Registered
325 Posts
With a TR-1 Autopilot it takes just one push of a button mounted near Kicker, and the tiller is yours to grab and steer.Also a TR-1 will allow you to back bounce straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm with Wright Angle! EZ steering with quick disconect so I can steer both outboards from the helm, and Trollmaster speed control for my Merc 9.9 kicker, also mounted by the big motor controls. :cheers:

I've never heard a bad word about the TR-1 products and the guys I've talked to, swear by 'em, but that price made me look for a cheaper alternative. :shocked:

Unfortunately, Wright Angle is farther ahead on his installation than I am! :hoboy: I'm hopin' to get to it this weekend (since the wind promises to blow until Monday). Grrrr... :mad:

Hey Wright Angle, I know we have different kickers, but can I email you if I run into problems with installation??
I found the instructions for the Trollmaster to be less an adequate, at least to my befuddled brain-pan. :shrug:

Thanks, Tim :smile:

[ 05-15-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: timinthegorge ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Tim, the install of the trollmaster was very easy, the hardest part was running the wires for a neat and clean install. Lots of zip ties. There was some adjustment that needed to be made to the throw of the servo after powering up but it was very straightforward.

The CD that came with the trollmaster had all the pictures and instructions that I needed. Did you get your CD? I am willing to try and answer questions about it if I can...E mail..

I went out and played with the trollmaster this morning for a few hours, very nice, it's better then I hoped for. With the tach on my kicker I could see that I had precise control of the throttle. If I want to run at 1340 rpm or any rpm (you name it) I just dialed it in exactly to the rpm... takes about 2 seconds and it was set. You can still run the kicker with the tiller. I like the fact that I can flip the troll master from run to idle and fight a fish (chase it with the tiller) then when Im ready to start trolling again I just flip it back to run and it goes back to my previous rpm setting (exactly to the same rpm) talk about a time saver.

I have the Troll Master Pro with the momentary full throttle switch. it's spring loaded so you have to hold it when you want full throttle.(not really full throttle just to the limit of the servo) let off and your right back to your pre-set RPM. This should be a great help when turning around or getting back on course when the wind blows. this should be good for the kicker also, instead of just idling all day. It works great, or anyway it did today.

I wish we would of had this product years ago.

I don't work for TrollMaster, just a very happy customer. so far...

Troll Master

[ 05-15-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
116 Posts
the tr-1 is the best way to go. how much time do you spend keeping the boat straight with the other models. I had one for a year and was constantly pushing switches.I could not even rebait with out going way off coarse.now I can fish,rebait,and bounce the bottom like everyone else on board.all I have to do is watch for trafic. the captian's catch rate has gone way up, thanks tr-1 gold bigguy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts