IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the tidewater carnage happening :smash: :smash: :smash:, it's worth remembering this often over-looked conservation regulation.

From ODFW regs:

• Open for fall chinook salmon Aug. 1-Dec. 31;
2 adult chinook salmon per day, 4 in any 7 consecutive days,10 per season in aggregate from all Nehalem, Tillamook, and Nestucca bays and streams.
This regulation was enacted something like 10 or more years ago to help keep the Tillamook fall chinook run, (~90% of which are wild-spawned fish)healthy and available to us.

After all the springers, URB's , B-10 fish, sturgeon seasons, all of us now fishing Tillamook should be asking ourselves, especially with hens -- "Do I really need to kill this fish, or will a picture do?"

The Tillamook standardized fall chinook spawning counts have been in a gradual decline, for reasons unknown, for several years now. It's cause for concern.

Literally, we have our fishing future in our hands each time we catch one of these fish, especially as they near spawning.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good reminder Gary. I'd alot rather turn a few fish back than to face small quotas in the future. It's up to all of us to protect the resource. I will never however begrudge someone a fish if they want to keep it, as long as it is done legally and ethically.

Bob

· Banned
19,821 Posts
"Do I really need to kill this fish, or will a picture do?"
Literally, we have our fishing future in our hands each time we catch one of these fish, especially as they near spawning.

Good point Gary, just say no to hens. :cheers:
Way to much egg hunting going on right now.
Let's give the fish a break whenever possible. :dance:

salmon hugger

· Registered
77 Posts
It takes restraint and maturity to release a trophy fish like a chrome chinook. I do my part when I can. I hope my efforts payoff for the next generations' fisherkids. Very good post. Congratulations to those who are new to the sport that are able to catch and keep thier first one as well. Many years I release hens that are not as bright as I would like and I buy eggs at the store instead.

· Banned
1,409 Posts
I have fished the Wiilson for 25 years and the last three have been the best I can remember. Last years smolt out-migration from the Little north fork was 1.3 million fall chinooks. That is unbelievable! The Tillamook streams are as healthy now as they have been for along time.

Kevin Lund

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.