IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have not yet done so, please, please, please contact the members of the Oregon State Land Board and let them know how you feel about the John Day River Navigability Study. Even though the meeting only calls for an informational update, that is no guarantee that they won't kill the study or further postpone it.

I sent my letter on the 9th, and received a canned reply from Randall Edwards' assistant Inga Deckert, this morning. Here it is along with my original message for those interested.

I have also included the Land Board contact information again for those that want to make the contact. Remember, the Land Board has been trying to dodge this navigability study since 1997. Every year they put it off is another year a hand full of elite landowners that want it stopped can use to gather their forces and get it stopped.

This study is pivotal in our fight to secure the right of all Oregonians to use their waterways for recreational purposes.

Scruffy

P.S. I changed the name on Inga’s letter so you would know it was really me that she responded to.

-------------

Dear Mr. Scruffy:

Thank you for taking the time to share your wishes regarding the pending John Day River navigability study. As you are aware, the last action relating to the John Day navigability study was taken by the Land Board at its June 10, 2003 meeting. That action postponed the commencement of the navigability study until either the Governor signed legislation passed by the 2003 legislature to address the public's rights to use waters of the state not declared navigable or the close of the 2003 legislative session.

Because the legislation session closed without legislation signed by the Governor, the navigability study on the John Day commences automatically-the Land Board need not take any action to commence the study. At the Land Board's next meeting, which will be held on October 21, 2003 in Coos Bay, the agenda is set to include an informational item on the John Day reiterating the Land Board's action in June and pronouncing that the study is set to begin.

Thank you again for writing.
Sincerely,
Inga Deckert
Director of Legislative and Public Affairs
Oregon State Treasury

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 11:32 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Navigability on the John Day River

October 9, 2003
Treasurer Edwards,

I commend you on your action regarding the John Day River Navigability Study during the June 10, 2003 Land Board Meeting. I appreciated the courage shown in ordering the Division of State Lands to begin the study following the close of this year's legislative session. I know that there are a few very wealthy, influential people that want this study stopped. They do not represent the majority of all Oregonians. As an elected official, you do.

If the John Day River Navigability Study comes up for review during the October 21, Land Board Meeting, please stay the course. I ask that you do nothing to prevent the study from going forward. It has languished in the system since 1997 and that is way to long. The people of Oregon deserve resolution on this issue.

Sincerely,
Scruffy Bearded Varmint
Oregon Citizen and Taxpayer

---------

The following is the contact information for the Oregon State Land Board. Please call, write, email, and fax each one and let them know it is time to stay the course and let the Division of State Lands complete the John Day River Navigability Study, on behalf of all Oregonians. They ordered the Division of State Lands start the study if the legislation didn’t get the job done, which they didn’t. Just because Division of State Lands started the study , that does not mean the Land Board has to let them finish it. The can kill it on a moments notice. Please remind them of their responsibility to all Oregonians.

RANDALL T. EDWARDS
State Treasurer of Oregon
Phone: (503) 378-4329
Fax: (503) 373-7051
Email: [email protected]
350 Winter Street NE Suite 100
Salem OR 97301-3896

Bill Bradbury
Oregon Secretary of State
Phone: (503) 986-1523
Fax: (503) 986-1616
Email: [email protected]