IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, experts.

In trying to determine a proper COL for my 06 on some Hornady bullets, I did he usual, blacking the bullet, and chambering it, to see when the lans marks finally disappeared. The rifling marks DID finally disappear, but there was still a solid ring of removed black around the bullet.

My question is, is the bullet still coming in contact with something which needs to be the basis for seating the bullet a bit deeper for my COL?

With some other bullets the rifling marks disappeared, and that was it. I set it a bit deeper, and did fine. But this solid ring of removed black....I don't know what it is.

Thanks, any helpers,

C :cheers:

· Registered
17,454 Posts
I take a fired case and resized case and cut down through the neck into the shoulder with a hack saw vertically to release the neck tension but still have enough to hold a bullet - I take my bullet of choice and seat it long - chamber the round in the rifle and the lands will push the bullet into the case as you close and lock the bolt - open the bolt and keep the bullet from dragging on anything and remove - measure the OAL and you have it for the particular bullet.

I then look whether it will fit in the magazine at that length and if so start my load development at that point. Hope that helps

· Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the solid ring of black removed, can you see any etching into the copper jacket
No etching. Maybe the slightest of scrape where it initially slid in at an angle, being chambered, touching some part or other of the chamber, sliding perpendicular to the ring....

No etching.

· Registered
17,454 Posts
BoatDog - thanks just trying to share

Here is a pic of what the case looks like after its been cut.

Once I've found that pet load - I'll take another re-sized case (usually some junker) and seat a bullet in it at the length that worked the best - and write the load info on the case with a sharpy. That way it is really easy to re-set my seating die later - just slap the blank in finger tighten the seating plug and you're ready to go.

· Registered
6,597 Posts
I do what stick does, except I don't cut through the neck. I amy try that, but a make sure it is not crimped and let the chambering seat the bullet and then back off my loads from that point and try them out. I too tried the blackenng bullet but it was a pain.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Stickfish, hmm I'd never thought of that. Thank you. Actually I've found a load for both of my rifles that drives tacks with bullets I like but now I think I did that by accident. I never mess with the dies and I never deviate either. Been thinking about toying with the .243 for a couple years to make a varmint round instead of shooting partitions at the yotes but have been hesitant to mess around. Anyway....I'm ranting so thanks.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Great idea about marking the dummy case with a sharpy. I also log the pet load into the card catalog for future reference. Also note the primer Brand and Powder brand and charge. I also include the test data for the round.

· Registered
17,454 Posts
I use a spirel (sp) notebook for that, I keep notes on the performance at the range and the performance on game. On the pet loads I even tape the targets into the book for future reference. Primer brand, powder, weight, bullet, COL, Case, Full Length or neck sized

On the case with the slots - I also trim that to the correct length and use it to setup my case trimmer next time I trim cases.

Happy reloading

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.