IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going out of the Fishery tomorrow... I thought we could fish for oversize, but I just read the following on the ODFW weekly report: "...In addition, angling from a floating device is prohibited from Beacon Rock upstream to Bonneville Dam during May 1 through July 15, 2003."
Does this mean no-go for oversize sturgeon (from our boat)? :whazzup: :shrug:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,255 Posts
Only if you were going to fish above Beacon Rock.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
No, You just have to be below Becon Rock. You also can only catch and release. So go for the big ones and have fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer. Man do they make the regs as confusing as possible, or what? I had the same take as you from that particular weekly report... However, if you go to the ODFW link to the summary of changes (for the Columbia section) for 2003, they don't say anything about sturgeon catch & release being a no-go from Beacon Rock to Bonny. Check it out: ODFW 2003 Columbia Zone Reg Changes

I guess I'll have to find some clipped summers or steelies instead! :wink:

P.S. Thanks for the quick reply! :cheers:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,255 Posts
fishchaser: Just to make sure. You can't even catch and release above Beacon Rock. No angling from a boat period. This is to protect the breeding fish. They may not spawn if they are messed with too much so there is a "sanctuary" to protect them. You can still find non-spawning oversize sturgeon lower in the river. Just use the "big baits".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts