IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this email from reeldick. We went out a couple of nights ago and caught some shad. He decided to take a dozen home and smoke them. Here is the email:

I rushed home last night, took the twelve shad out of the sauce, and got
them into the smoker.
At 11:00p.m. I shut the smoker down andput the good looking fish in the
fridge.
I brought one into the office this morning for all to try. I peeled the skin
off one side so the meat was showing. Looked really good. slid some meat off
the bones and popped it into my mouth.
Gag! The damn meat was mushy. I guess it tasted alright. No, it wasn't even
close to alright.
I won't try that again.
Do you know anyone who would like eleven smoked mushy shad? Got a cat that
would want them?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This is from a guy that eats my sturgeon bait when I'm not looking! These must be really bahd!

Here is my suggestion:

Put them in a blender and make a Shadomatic shake! Then you can bring them over and pour them around my rhoadies!

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have a suggestion for reeldick????

:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
When raw, they make great rose food....

When cooked, flaked with mayo, pickles and onions, they make really bad shad dip.

[ 05-30-2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
OMG flash from the past. The Bass-O-Matic! I can just see it in my mind now "Mmmmmmm... good bass!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Give them to people that are always bugging you for fish that in reality you cant stand. Tell them how good it is. Once they taste it they wont be asking again!

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
The first year I shad fished I took a dozen of them home and fillet them out, and pickled them. I figured they were in the herring family and it would be like pickled herring

WRONG!!!!!

After a month of soaking in a brine it was more like mushy cat food :tongue:

Now they only go in cat food

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I had it pickled a couple of years ago. A friend of ours did it for us and it tasted just like the pickled herring you get at like Costco or anywhere. I don't know how he did it and I don't care because it was way too much work for a herring! Should be Bait, not for human consumption!!!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
How many time do you need to be told! :shocked:
( DON'T EAT THE BAIT ) :tongue:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
My aunt used to smoke them, can them, then use them as a spread on crackers. :depressed: of course she liked fryed shad roe also. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
all i can say is

:laugh: :laugh:

[ 05-30-2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Hey Hog,

Tell Dick I was down at the Rose Festival with the kids and they were giving away samples of SPAM!!

There is a whole world full of good stuff to eat, shad ain't one of them.

(personally I feel the same way about sturgon)

Come on Dick, I'll send over some bear steaks I've had in the freezer for two years.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,159 Posts
The solution: Start with skinned fillets that have ALL the dark meat removed. Smoke until they are firm. It will happen. Then can it up without adding anything. This will draw more oil out. Open a jar, drain, mix in a package of cream cheese and some Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning and serve with crackers. Let everybody rave over it before you tell them what it is. :wink:
I swear this is true, I have done it, and it does get raves. No fish story.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
The other solution:

Attatch shad to crab ring. Pitch into ocean. Keep legal crabs. Pitch shad remains into ocean.

Geek, he would. I still have nightmares. :shocked:

Gary, if Jacob comes home covered in shad mush, you can wash him. Runnin round givin folks all kinds of crazy ideas. :wink:

Mark and the "oh my god! Is that the dog??!!!" dog.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thi suggestion comes from Kowboi, my friend in New Mexico:

get a real nice cedar board, tack shad to board, put in smoker with mesquite chips, smoke 12 hours...remove and let cool...pull shad off of board....throw shad in garden, eat board seasoned with left over mesquite briquets....a little of the southwest flavor!!!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:grin: :grin: :grin:

Here Jake, comon, boy. Daddy's pickup smells a little too fresh.

Ideas? I think he has plenty of his own! :grin:

PS - STG - They were being nice. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts