IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the reason why our rivers are closed?
1. ODFW Nonresident ocean troll salmon permits: 281
2. ODFW Nonresident Columbia River gillnet permits: 54

The big sports fishermen sellout......by whom?
Do we really have enough fish for this? How is this good economics for Oregon? The real money is in tourism, boats, trailers, RV's, tackle etc. etc.

The Only Thing Necessary for the extinction of salmon is that Good Men Do Nothing!
ODFW Pioneer License

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The Oregon ocean salmon troll permits don't have an appreciable impact on our salmon returns. A lot of those permit holders don't even really fish for them and those that do tend to be 1 man shows that aren't getting fish in significant numbers. Our bigger impacts come from the Alaskan and Canadian fleets.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Is this the reason why our rivers are closed?
1. ODFW Nonresident ocean troll salmon permits: 281
2. ODFW Nonresident Columbia River gillnet permits: 54

The big sports fishermen sellout......by whom?
Do we really have enough fish for this? How is this good economics for Oregon? The real money is in tourism, boats, trailers, RV's, tackle etc. etc.

The Only Thing Necessary for the extinction of salmon is that Good Men Do Nothing!
ODFW Pioneer License
And where will the people who don’t own a boat and don’t fish get their fish?? We should stop growing food and raising beef pork and chicken as well just for the good of all.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Oregon ocean salmon troll permits don't have an appreciable impact on our salmon returns. A lot of those permit holders don't even really fish for them and those that do tend to be 1 man shows that aren't getting fish in significant numbers. Our bigger impacts come from the Alaskan and Canadian fleets.
No appreciable impact on our salmon returns? Fish don't lie !

·
Registered
267 Posts
Throw rocks at every one that fishes for silver fish. It did work at one time but runs of kings are even down in Alsaka Want to save your fish do not buy a license.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Throw rocks at every one that fishes for silver fish. It did work at one time but runs of kings are even down in Alsaka Want to save your fish do not buy a license.

Oh my, is the Alaska issue really a surprise? I was there on the lower Yukon drift gill netting when the Chinook started going bye bye. You should have seen all the lost drift nets scoured from ice out on the banks of the river. Fish wheels churning collecting salmon for dog food. It was at that moment I realized why this fishery was in decline and still in decline. My Yukon trip started on Tanana River down 800 miles 30 miles from the mouth of Yukon. Did it In an open boat with 2 50 gallon barrels for fuel tanks. Did it a couple of times and it broke my heart. Now Alaska with airplanes and helicopters spotters are scooping up entire herring balls for herring roe. The destruction and over fishing is on going in Alaska. Why do think Alaska isn't under the same management group as WA. OR. CA with the Pacific Fisheries Management Council? Hum why is that? Thinking......

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Dude, I recommend doing some research and picking your battles. There are a lot of commercial fisheries that I strongly oppose, including one you mention above, but I don't have an issue with the ocean troll salmon fishery off the Oregon coast. That's a fishery that's pretty responsibly managed and doesn't result in a lot of salmon taken and, more importantly, not a lot of by catch impacts comparatively speaking.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If all it takes is for good men to do nothing, what are you planning to do about it? Besides flap fingers here?

Owl

Reactions: nwguy202

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Sorry I didn't think they could hear me. Non res go bye bye ! Is that better?
Pioneer license is 65 years and up.

It‘s better if you act with the dignity your age has earned.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude, I recommend doing some research and picking your battles. There are a lot of commercial fisheries that I strongly oppose, including one you mention above, but I don't have an issue with the ocean troll salmon fishery off the Oregon coast. That's a fishery that's pretty responsibly managed and doesn't result in a lot of salmon taken and, more importantly, not a lot of by catch impacts comparatively speaking.
1. Lets talk impacts. About 25%(give or take) of the entire wild coho are bi-catch mortality feeding crabs.
2. For every 2 Chinook they are allowed 1 halibut.
3. Non-selective harvest of wild Chinook kills off the gene pool.
4. Rivers and bays are being closed to sports fishing.
5. Economic impact of closed sport fishing.
6. We have zero marine exclusion zones on impacted Chinook rivers

The days of salmon market hunters is nearing the end, just like it did with waterfowl. We saved our waterfowl and a new word was invented "conservation." Something needs to change with our salmon fisheries or we are headed to east coast salmon dilemma. The time to fix this is now.

ODFW Pioneer License

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
1. Lets talk impacts. About 25%(give or take) of the entire wild coho are bi-catch mortality feeding crabs.
2. For every 2 Chinook they are allowed 1 halibut.
3. Non-selective harvest of wild Chinook kills off the gene pool.
4. Rivers and bays are being closed to sports fishing.
5. Economic impact of closed sport fishing.
6. We have zero marine exclusion zones on impacted Chinook rivers

The days of salmon market hunters is nearing the end, just like it did with waterfowl. We saved our waterfowl and a new word was invented "conservation." Something needs to change with our salmon fisheries or we are headed to east coast salmon dilemma. The time to fix this is now.

ODFW Pioneer License
If you really want to make a difference, get rid of the hake and pollack draggers up north. They destroy about 30% of the entire run as discarded by-catch. Then get the herring and anchovy harvest stopped. Chinook can't grow without feed. Nothing is going to get better until the major factors are fixed.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Pioneer license is 65 years and up.

It‘s better if you act with the dignity your age has earned.
With 50 years of residency! I'd say watching the former great state of oregon slide to what it is now should allow ME at 40 years of residency to get the discount. $100.00 to allow the wife and I to fish for pellet head trout and warm water fish is robbery.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think Ole PowerHooker might have been trolling without a permit.....................:LOL:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The history of the Columbia River shows the vast amount of salmon that could be harvested from it. We can see the good years and the steady decline. The interventions of building hatcheries to supplement the decline. There were years of big runs and allowing of gill nets. One of the last rivers in America to have a gill net season. Man has meddled in the lives of salmon for so long there is no way back. The idea of creating a natural run of salmon on a river is next to impossible. The fight of natural spawning salmon or hatchery salmon and what is best. The introduction of farm raised salmon and accidental release. The need to keep chinook around for the salmon eating Orca. The political maze that needs to be run for every need tool to get us on the right path is ridiculous. Is there a true way out of this mess.
My assumption from living through the good old days and seeing what is becoming of our fisheries is that we will never get there unless man stops everything and waits 100's of years. If everything goes right the salmon come back to pre fish wheels and gill nets numbers then we can all start fishing again. But because I have limited years left on this planet I would rather go with fill the rivers as we use to do with smolt and enjoy the rivers/ocean full of fish.
I know that this subject has been discussed on here many times. There was a guy on here from Lebanon(?) that was really into stopping the commercial fishing of Chinook. He had his stuff together concerning his side of the story.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you really want to make a difference, get rid of the hake and pollack draggers up north. They destroy about 30% of the entire run as discarded by-catch. Then get the herring and anchovy harvest stopped. Chinook can't grow without feed. Nothing is going to get better until the major factors are fixed.

Pacific Fisheries Management Council should rethink why we are not managed as one group Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California. The BC people I talked with are not happy campers with the far north harvest shenanigans. Is it plausible that the hatchery solution is a vain attempt to collect what was owed only to recognize too many is far worse? Is it far easier to lay blame on the big blue sea than ones mistakes? Farmers don't last long with too many critters in the pasture......
Pioneer License

1 - 20 of 37 Posts