IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reds are officially in the lower river in catchable #'s. 30K came across the counter on friday, 60K yesterday. I fished the russian for bows and reds on friday night and limited on reds in 30 minutes. Not a ton of luck on the bows but my fishing partner caught a 31 inch 12-13lb bow, but he couldn't buy a red. Today I fished by the old soldotna airport and nailed 3 in 40 minutes again. I would have been done quicker but it was only my second attempt fishing them with my flyrod (hookset issues).
King fishing has been good by all reports and it is shaping up to be a banner year for second run kings. I am gonna try and hit some next week after work.
Tight Lines
WRO

[ 07-13-2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Skate a big dry behind the salmon for the bows'. Keep trying, it will take one cast or 200 but they will get p***** enought to grab it eventually.
Watch out for the bears!!!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Thanks WRO,

I'll be there Thursday for 10 days of Red, King,and Halibut fishing.

Gonna do one day at Deep Creek, one at Homer, one on the Kasilof and several on the Kenai. And on my spare time I'll work over some Reds....

Even gonna do a flyout for early Silvers.

Hmmmmmmm, 60,000 a day I bet I can get one or so!!

fop

[ 07-13-2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
I'll tell you what! There's two things I miss about Alaska...moose hunting...and catching reds (and then eating them) (I also miss catching Kings, and silvers, and rainbows, and grayling and dollies....) Come to think of it...I just plain miss living in Alaska.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FOP,
Email me again, And we'll definately hook up.. I got a little secret on the russian.. Not a trip yet without a limit of reds (and everyone tells me its slow) if not maybe atleast for some coffee at sals.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks for the update. Gettin antsi here. Just 10 more days!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hey guys, that last full week of July is the top fishing week on the Kenai for nine years out of ten. Late run kings, reds, and we usually got a few early silvers.
With the heavy run of reds in, the rainbows come out big time.
Wish I was there. You don't know how much you miss it until you miss a year after fifteen or sixteen years of great fishing.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
WRO, With 60,000 or so coming in every day for a week or so I don't think it will be necessary to have to travel all the way up to the Russian. Are you fishing on the first run Reds?

The second runs are way easier to get in the lower river.

My landing is about as good as it gets. It will be no problem getting limits every day.

I'm fishing every AM so we should try to hook-up in the PM during the week.

reeldick, Looks like the Reds have came in a bit early this year. Might be all gone from the lower river that last week and we would have to travel up river to get them.

But, I know what you are talking about being gone from there for any time during the peak of the runs. This is the first year since 1981 that I haven't been there for the whole season. Miss the river and the fish. And gonna make up for it real soon!!!!!!!

fop

[ 07-14-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: fop ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Some incredible eating when it's fresh.
Are they limiting the hours of fishing for non-residents for either Kings or Reds?

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My russian secret is geared for more tough fishing times (ie end of first run) There is no issue nailing them in the lower river right now.
Reeldick I have been here in the last week of july 10 or 12 times myself and I find that if they hit escapement early, the commercials pretty much cork off the river and the fishing goes down hill a bit from the slay fest that generally occurs the third week. But were basically its the difference in 30 minute limits and 3 hour limits.
There is no real time limit for nonresidents this time of year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts