IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the deal is with the noticable red water at the Buoy this weekend? It would come in on the tide and you could see noticable color seams between it and the normal green.

I remember people talking about this before, so I tried to do a search, but came up empty?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Its not "Red Tide". You will see the color change more dramatically towards the mouth of the Skippanon and around the "Sawdust Pile", mostly just because the water is calmer and it is easier to see. Cant remember the explanation for it, someone here will know. BUT I can tell you that it is not unusual, I see it every year I'm out there.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
On another post Dave Johnson said it was an algea bloom. We noticed it on the incoming around the sawdust pile the most. The bait fish were thick and the Salmon bite was excellent in the middle of it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My wife and I were fishing between the entrance to Chinook Landing and out to B10 the weekend of 8/9. We saw the same thing. Large areas of red between B10 and Chinook as well as east and west of the Astoria Bridge. One thing it does is effect a depth finder. It really messed up ours when we passed through the red stuff by B12.

I know it's not a red tide but does anyone have an explaination for this? I don't remember seeing anything covering such a large surface area in past years.
:whazzup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I noticed when trolling in this area some reddish brown slimy algae type plant? accumulates on the herring. If trolling in this area check your bait frequently. We did hook fish in these areas as well.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I believe it's an algea bloom. I fished along the edge of it up by the church hole a few years ago and the silvers seemed to be holding along the edge of it, as the fishing was very productive.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's all over the place..

My suggestion is to stay on the edge of the green/red water since any bait, fish flash, dodger, whatever, will be "dulled" by the lack of visible light (sunshine). You can't even see your bait/flasher at times.

Scott

·
Registered
450 Posts
It probably occurs when excess carrot milk collides with the salt water :smile:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Look folks, eating any salmon caught in that area can kill you. I'll be down there all week collecting thse deadly fish for suitable disposal. Trust me ... :laugh:

Oh --- But you can keep the big yaller ones with the hugantic adipose fins.

[ 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Red color to the water is an algea bloom. Last week we caught some nice chinook in the red water. There was so much of it there wasn't any getting around fishing it so I just trolled through. My confidence wasn't too high until we hooked our first fish-then we hooke four more.

We caught some fish in it down on Nehelem last year too.

Cast&Blast, That redish/brown stringy stuff is what's left of a jelly fish that hit your line and slid down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts