IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad sent me about 4 dozen magnum mallard decoys that have been sitting in a box for about 30 years a while ago. The decoys are a combination of hard plastic and styrofoam (I think) or something similar. The paint on many of them has really faded to a point that I wouldn't think of them as being very usable.

Is it worth trying to recondition the decoys or should I just start over with a new set?

Thanks!
TF

·
Registered
906 Posts
The hard plastic decoys (Herters I think) become a little brittle after some years. Make sure the one's you have are still kind of pliable before spending any time trying to resore them. Just my :twocents: worth!

Sorry that's all the information I have!
Oh ya! Better hurry if you do decide to rework them as the weathers going to start changing pretty fast!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Just send 'em to me, I'll dispose of them for you. No reason for you to waste your time on those old decoys.:grin:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Just add some water on opening day and see if they work, if not then its gotta be the decoys and you will have to spend the rest of the season restoring them!!!

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Personally I think they are worth more on ebay than they would be as gunners.
Add in the cost & time spent it makes $20/doz GHG Hot Buys look pretty cheap.
I'd probably research what they are worth 1st...if anything, before I screwed them up restoring.
You might be able to raise enough to buy new.
Those goofballs on ebay....who knows.
Hunt'nFish

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeah, what Mike said. At $20 a dozen, that's almost cheaper than the paint you'd have to buy. Not to mention your time.

Failing ebay, you could always donate them to the waterfowl festival for kids to paint next year. They're always looking for more dekes.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could always donate them to the waterfowl festival for kids to paint next year. They're always looking for more dekes.
ogrejager,

That's a great idea!:cheers:

I'll drag the boxes out of my attic tonight and post a picture so you all can get an idea of what I'm looking at. Knowing my dad, they were probably pretty high quality decoys when he bought them.

TF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts