IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,390 Posts
Depending on the look you want is going to be a key factor.

Spar varnish will add a deep orange and shine to the look. With Spar varnish you will need to remove the old periodical to apply new.

There are oils you can use that will change the color some but are simple to re-coat.

You might look at some of the deck sealers; I'm a fan of Super Deck. With the deck sealers you have several colors/shades to choose from.
They are easy to re-coat.

Talk to the guys at the paint store and see what they have to say.
Test a small area and see if you like the look.

· Registered
14,735 Posts
It has been a while, but I do not think it is okay for GLBs to be exposed to the weather.

We had to wrap them way back when.

· Registered
8,397 Posts
Dek makes some fine sealers with tung oil brush it on,let penatrate, wipe it off. 2 coats is all you will need and easy to refresh finish ... A neat trick I used to do was to get 3 different wood stains and artists brushs and paint the filled knots(wich are usually pinkish) to look like knotholes again ... Yea I know ... Kinda overkill ... But it really looks cool...:wave:

P.S. all laminated beams are constructed with exterior glue now and unless they are 10 years or older I wouldn't worry about it ... Barney

· Registered
9,675 Posts
Pressure wash and seal just like a deck. If they are stuctural they should be protected from direct weather exposure.

I've had to sheet rock wrap beams in garages to protect from fire. I have old glue lams laying around as they make good cribbing. Seems like dry rot and insects consume them before the glue fails. Wooden bridges out side use glulams, that are later treated for rot/termite protection.

One floated aways in Hillsboro in '96
floods.

· Registered
14,735 Posts
Nice to hear exterior grade glue finally made it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.